Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LED replacements for indicator lamps

If you get a duff indicator lamp especially on the landing gear (one of the 3 greens, or the red) then you are stuck, not knowing whether the gear is duff or the lamp is duff.

You can test the lamps but what if you got a duff lamp and duff gear? Improbable I suppose.

It makes me wonder why these lamps (which can be virtually inaccessible) are not LEDs, since LEDs go back to the early 1970s?

One cannot generally use the LED replacements like this T3 1/4

because they don’t have the right characteristic at the lower “night setting” voltage (about 16V on a 28V aircraft). Some are still at full brightness and some are invisible.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

If you get a duff indicator lamp especially on the landing gear (one of the 3 greens, or the red) then you are stuck, not knowing whether the gear is duff or the lamp is duff.

On the PA28/32R series, the lamps are easily replaceable. You just pull out the green lens “block” with the lamp. Switching lamps is SOP if one of them fails to illuminate.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

On the PA28/32R series, the lamps are easily replaceable. You just pull out the green lens “block” with the lamp. Switching lamps is SOP if one of them fails to illuminate.

Idem on Cessnas. The POH recommends swapping them if a failure is suspected. This can be done in flight, no problem.

How are these lamps extracted?

If they really come out, it looks like a special tool. Access from behind i.e. removing that module is an absolute bastard of a job.

The other indicators on a TB are the Swisstac ones

for which I have the extraction tools; one for the lens and one for the lamp.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

How are these lamps extracted?

Probably some special tool. Similar as DA42.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Must be something like that, because the rear of the lamps is definitely not serviceable

Administrator
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message