Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LAPL vs PPL & Conversion Exams

Hi all,

In the process of converting my Australian PPL to an EASA PPL. But here it seems there are two types, LAPL and PPL. The EASA PPL seems to allow revenue flights in some cases, but not the Australian PPL. My Australian PPL allows a MTOW of 5,700kg, but the EASA PPL has no MTOW limit, and no passenger limit.

So not sure if after the conversion which license I will receive? The LAPL or PPL?

Second question is that when I did the PPL exams in Australia it was a single exam covering several areas, and we were allowed to bring in reference materials including the AIP, Circulars, Visual Flight Rules Guide etc…. But here the EASA PPL exams are done with separate subjects, and no reference material is allowed. Is this normal? This means I really have to memorise a lot of stuff. Luckily I only have to do the Air Law & Human Factors exams.

Many thanks for any input

Netherlands

The EASA PPL has the same 5,700kg mass limit, and 10 POB. It does not allow revenue flights like a CPL, but cost sharing is allowed.
The EASA LAPL is a non-ICAO, EASA-only license. It allows for a max 2,000kg SEP and 4 POB. You can add a night rating to it, but no IR or ME for example.

mkqq wrote:

which license I will receive? The LAPL or PPL?
The one you apply for. Which one you want to apply for is up to you, and what you want to do with your flying (the qualifications and ratings you intend to add).

mkqq wrote:

the EASA PPL exams are done with separate subjects, and no reference material is allowed. Is this normal?
yes.
ESMK, Sweden

Arne wrote:

The EASA PPL has the same 5,700kg mass limit, and 10 POB. It does not allow revenue flights like a CPL

It does allow “introductory flights” which are revenue flights.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

How are you converting?

Now retired from forums best wishes

I did my language proficiency test a few weeks ago.

Then I need to pass two exams, Air Law and Human Factors. I’m studying for these two subjects now.

Next step is medical. Once medical is done I can start flying. Need a few hours to.get familiar with the European airspace, then we can proceed to the test.

Looks like I’ll be applying for the PPL.

Netherlands

If you are doing the Part FCL Annex III conversion route you can only apply for a PPL – there isn’t an option to go to LAPL as it is sub ICAO

Now retired from forums best wishes
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message