Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

KAP 140 AP Service

The turn starts very gentle and gets steeper over time.

Seems the A/P doesn’t sense the feedback from the gyro. If the heading bug (control) part failed it would just start turning, limiting too its standard turn rate by the gyro.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Jesse wrote:

Would it bank steeper than it would normally do? Or does it do a standard turn?

The turn starts very gentle and gets steeper over time.

Would it bank steeper than it would normally do? Or does it do a standard turn?

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

turns the aircraft in an uncontrolled bank when it is in heading mode

If the bank is truly uncontrolled (say 60 degrees) then that is not a fault in the source of the heading signal (which is just a plus or minus analog voltage, representing the heading bug left/right of straight-ahead). The autopilot must limit the bank angle internally, to something like Rate 1.

If you get a roll angle well past Rate 1, it has to be a fault in the autopilot computer, or a fault in the roll reference source which tells the AP what the actual roll angle is.

I would start by checking the wiring between the AP computer and the roll reference source. If it is intermittent, it could be a real bugger…

there is no integrity check

Welcome to GA avionics

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A related question on the KAP140:

We have a KAP140 in the DA40, and sometimes the AP all of a sudden turns the aircraft in an uncontrolled bank when it is in heading mode.
This is very dangerous and can only be recovered by disconnecting the AP and fly manually.
Does someone recognize this failure? What could cause this?

What is worrying is that there is no integrity check. The AP gives no warning when it happens.

Hi
It always fails on PFT9.

Thats the plan, once I find someone with a laptop and an RS232 lead I will get the diagnostics done.

Thanks

Evo400

KAP140 manuals

I have a big collection elsewhere…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

At which seftest step does it Fails (number)
Most of the KAP 140 are caused by something outside the KC140.(AP computer)
To be sure you would have connect the AP system , to a (laptop) computer and look in to the error log (stored in the KC140)

That’s exactly what I had. At last service mechanic cleaned connectors and since then I had it only once in three months.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

@airborne again: it happens on pre flight test only and the warning light stays illuminated. We have flown in the last few hours with the circuit breaker off, due to this fault, as I believe the KAP 140 units are known for this type of pitch trim issues.

We’ve had the exact same problem with our KAP 140 several times, but after a couple of restarts (pulling and pushing the circuit breaker) it has always passed the pre-flight test eventually and then worked correctly in the air.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 18 Jun 20:17
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message