Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

KAP 140 AP pitch trim failure in turbulence

As lenthamen my plane also has a KAP 140 AP. In smooth air the AP works really fine. But in turbulence there are some issues. On departure from Carcassonne I experianced some moderate turbulance only a short time which caused the KAP 140 to raise the nose of the aircraft to a steadily pitch up position, this in IMC. The vertical speed was reduced from 600 ft to 100 ft immediately which was noticed by the controller: “Confirm climbing FL 100”. I resolved the problem by AP disconnect. The AP did not disconnect itself. No error/ pitch trim failure had to be seen on the display. On top I engaged the AP again and everything worked perfect. And I had this problem again in turbulence which is quite disappointing. Any ideas to improve the KAP 140 ? There are some SB`s but I do not know if they would help in this matter. Any tips are appreciated.

Berlin, Germany

I also have KAP140 (in DA42) and I used to have problems with it – I wrote about the issues here and at diamondaviators.net. After servicing pitch trim servo everything works flawlesly both in smooth and turbulent air.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
2 Posts
Sign in to add your message