Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Joigny LFGK

Last week we went to Joigny LFGK. With a toddler and a pregnant wife we don’t fly as a family very often now, so I took the opportunity while on holiday to have a quick day trip. I’d previously spent a lot of time researching local aerodromes (under an hour away) with something to do in the area, and had found Joigny as the town is within walking distance. Last summer there was a notam closing the airfield to all but based aircraft, so went to Châtillon-sur-Seine for lunch instead. This year no notam, so off we went. I’m normally a tailwheel Robin person, but my daughter means also bringing a car seat, push chair and rucksack, so we took the club PA28 to benefit from the larger and externally accessible luggage compartment. It had been very hot recently (TAFs 40C+) so we planned an early flight to spend the morning there and be back by lunchtime.

The flight there was uneventful. The R45 wasn’t active, but I flew well above it anyway. The fields had been cooked yellow, with nice contrast against the deep green forests of the Morvan regional park where I spent a lot of my childhood. We flew over the two big artificial lakes, Pannecière and les Settons, as well as some smaller ones, ppassing between Avallon LFGE, a small town with a grass airfield, and Vézelay with its hilltop abbey (we were too high for decent photos, but I’ll try to find one from a different flight). Vézelay is only about 20 minutes away by car so easily visitable if flying into Avallon.

Auxerre

In-flight entertainment for my daughter was non(?)-destructive testing of a pair of sunglasses We passed over the city and then the airfield of Auxerre (one of my first ppl navigation destinations), which I’ve driven through hundreds of times but never actually visited. The bridges over the river Yonne are distinctive.

Joigny

Turning final

Another couple of minutes’ flight and also on the Yonne is Joigny, our destination. The airfield is on the plateau d’Othe just to the north of the town, and the vast forêt d’Othe stretches a long way to the north-east. It’s auto-information on 123,5 and there was no wind and no-one on frequency so I joined right base 08, the preferential runway. Interestingly, all circuits are to the south, which is the same side as the town. Descending and landing you get a wonderful view of the town and its bridges, but unfortunately the phone photos don’t do it justice. We parked up at the deserted airfield and followed google maps down the hill into town.

Parked

The track is directly opposite the airfield gate, so you can’t miss it, and just keep going downhill. It’s grass and pretty steep in places, but was easy walking even with a pushchair, descending through vineyards with good views to the south over the town and the countryside beyond. Same again, the phone photos aren’t that good; I’ve put a roll of film through my uncle’s 1980s SLR and will post more photos once developed if they’re any good. Google maps lied to us: the path it said to use was completely overgrown (i.e. need a machete) but backtracking both sides we found another way down after a couple of minutes.

Vines

Google was wrong!

The town is obviously mediaeval with narrow streets, timbered buildings and gothic churches. We just had a walk round, a sit down, and visited a few shops, so can’t recommend any restaurants. The walk back up the hill with the pushchair in the heat wasn’t so much fun, but still nicer than walking on the road.
The flight back on the same route was equally uneventful, but quite turbulent as it was very hot by midday.

La porte de bois

Mediaeval streets

Small square

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Nice. Looks like a pretty place. Always interesting to discover new destinations in this part of the country as my knowledge is really limited

Capitaine wrote:

push chair

If anyone’s interested the Yoyo Babyzen is made for GA – weighs nothing and slots effortlessly into the hold

jgmusic
North Weald, United Kingdom

If been there a couple of times when it’s “closed to non based aircraft”. You can usually reach the club and they’ll send you the local guidelines “consignes locales” and you’re good to go.

I remember a couple years back the reason was because some trees were too high on the sides. I went there Easter 2018 (decided on day or on day before), but didn’t ask the reason for the notam.

Thank you capitaine for your report ! Joigny looks like Traben-Trarbach. I will definitely try to take the Miss there.
Autun and Vezelay seem very pretty too.
Noted the advice on the push chair, might be useful some day

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 07 Aug 08:24
LFOU, France

As promised, the missing photos. My uncle’s Praktica with prime, telephoto and wide angle lenses was good for portraits but disappointing anywhere near infinity.

PA28/180 early morning before takeoff

Vines

Street

The Yonne at the bottom of the hill

Châtillon-sur-Seine (ipad, different flight), airfield just out of the frame to right, easily walkable from the town

Vézelay abbey near Avallon (ipad, different flight)

PA28 interior in luxurious leather (pre GNC 255)

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Great report @Capitaine. Thanks for posting it.

It reminds those of us who can’t fly, or can’t land away, or “aren’t supposed to fly due to the self appointed police” that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nice trip! Autun is beautiful, as is the Morvan. I usually visit a few times a year. This picture is from spring last year.

EHTE, Netherlands

Great place Joigny.

Had the pleasure of doing an English course there a couple of summers ago.

Lovely club atmosphere with meals cooked by the president’s wife!

The three michelin-starred chef Jean-Michel Lorrain, whose restaurant is also in Joigny, was one of the students, and I actually stayed in the hotel owned by his sister in the town center.

Last Edited by Bordeaux_Jim at 09 May 19:51
LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)

Nice trip write up @Capitaine, I should have looked searched this one before walking

We had a nice trip to Joigny LFGK today, same setup as Capitaine with the hassle of a baby (plus the YoYoBabyZen suggested by Jgmusic, RIP fella !)

The place has not changed much except umbrellas and masks…

Umbrellas are highly appreciated !

We visited the local artists gallery, some are famous locally

We did eat in this place

Then visited Church & Cemetry followed by a long walk uphill, the plane was to get a taxi on the way back but carrying a carseat around would have been a nightmare, the walk under the heat was nice in the middle of vines and well deserved

Checking if everything is fine with the pax

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Jun 19:32
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Looks like a nice trip

EIWT Weston, Ireland
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message