Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jepp FD Ownship anomaly

I was flying, as instructor, today and had JeppFD open. At one point the Ownship disappeared from the plate. I brought up another plate, and Ownship appeared and was working fine, back to the original one and it popped up as a flash for a few milliseconds then disappeared.

I tried zooming and panning, to no avail and it was missing for maybe three or four minutes, but consistently on the other plate; then it came back.

Has anyone else seen this? Any explanations?

iOS 11.2.1 on iPad Mini 4

EGKB Biggin Hill

What GPS source? I had own-ship appear/disappear on another app (GP) and had to reboot my GDL39. That worked.

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

This was with the iPad’s own GPS, but I am not convinced that that is relevant, as Ownship was showing on other JeppFD plates and (I forgot to mention this) in SkyDemon, so I am pretty sure that the problem was not to do with GPS.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Could it possibly be that a certain part of the plate was drawn not to scale and this is where JeppFD suppressed ownship as irrelevant? (I remember seeing at least one such plate recently, but I didn’t use it in flight). If so, it would disappear again when you fly into the same geographical area and reappear when you leave it.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

That is possible, I guess.

This was left downwind in the radar pattern to ILS 05 at EGMC Southend, so let’s say from 5nm north of EGMC, through 320°/4nm to, say, 290°/5nm.

Is there any way to get X-Plane to feed GPS into JeppFD, the way it does SkyDemon?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

Is there any way to get X-Plane to feed GPS into JeppFD, the way it does SkyDemon?

Not sure about X-Plane, but you can set a fake location by hand. Search for “fake GPS” apps.

Ultranomad wrote:

but you can set a fake location by hand. Search for “fake GPS” apps.

Are you sure, have you tried this? I have tried a couple but they won’t share with the iPad in general or with JeppFD in particular. They seem to be designed for things like Facebook so that you can pretend that you have been to place that people like us go to anyway

EGKB Biggin Hill

Oops, my bad. On the stock iOS, it’s not trivial indeed. But if you are still running iOS 10, you can use this.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 15 Jan 00:00

I am interested, but not that interested!

EGKB Biggin Hill
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message