Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is there too much negativity on EuroGA?

There is always some negativity, even in “US forums” where GA is heaven, as they say the grass is greener elsewhere, I gather one can just disregard it one should not forget the effect of weather, especially November to February, there is less negativity in the summer…

While ago, I did read this depressing thread on Mooneyspace (these topics come around in the gap between Thanksgiving and Christmas: cold winter, family is gone, aircraft sits with mechanics, end of year finances…you don’t get much of this in July)

https://mooneyspace.com/topic/44117-considering-leaving-general-aviation/

PS: I tried to hide this thread but it still pop-up in “active threads”

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Jan 11:14
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I also think “flying international” is a bit of a UK thing.

The main travelling countries are Germany, UK, and then the others (Benelux etc) where English is widely spoken.

To be perfectly honest here, I think perhaps that an impression of negativity stems from a narrow field of experience from the admin on this site.

To be perfectly honest here, that is BS.

I wonder what this site would be like if the admin also had an UL and/or experimental in the hangar

For UK only flying, perhaps France, and everything else needs permits. Lots of threads on that already. I have a TB20 so I use it. Why should I buy a plane which needs permits to fly to so many places, and can’t fly IFR?

But EuroGA is indeed colored by the experience and focus of the admin

The community here is made up of those who participate. I run the site and operate the mod policy. As I often say, those who want to see different topics: start a new thread!

I tried to hide this thread but it still pop-up in “active threads”

Here, perhaps

99% of people read the forum from the home page – either the banners or the active threads link.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

How do you know if there is a pilot at your party….he/she will tell you!!
How do pilots communicate on aviation forums…he/she will explain in great detail, that his view is the best..
The ego likes to emphasize the “otherness” of others…since pilots mostly have a more then standard identification with the PILOT form/object….the door is open :-)
Voila the spiritual explanation… :-)
Its good to do some self reflection from time to time, empowering people is a gift not all of us aviators have, though most of us try to do there best…
I am the first to admit that I make a negative comment sometimes, also online, though I love to motivate people to go into GA of some sort.
On a positive note, I think most contributors have the same view to contribute in a positive way and that euroga is an excellent source of info…

Last Edited by Vref at 16 Jan 12:33
EBST

LeSving wrote:

To be perfectly honest here, I think perhaps that an impression of negativity stems from a narrow field of experience from the admin on this site

On balance I have to disagree.

Whilst Peter’s flying is aimed squarely at IFR touring around Europe, and that will influence his posts, I think there is just as much content on VFR flying.

This forum is called “EuroGA” because it is meant to be a Europe-wide forum. I think it is therefore totally unavoidable that the content of this forum, and the posters, will focus on flights within Europe. Due to the concentration of different countries and the interesting flying opportunities afforded by this, most touring flights within Europe involve international flights to other European countries…

As a result I do not expect this forum to be full of people who fly ULMs or just local VFR flights, for example.

I’d also point out that I don’t know of any other forums that cater to this sort of group. The largest UK flying forum, Flyer, can be good for some local matters but it’s really hard getting useful information and threads never stay on topic for more than a few posts, so much of the content of the forum is useless. It’s no secret that there is a really small number of people who regularly do any sort of serious GA flying in Europe.

At the end of the day, one person moderates the forum but that’s just one member out of a few thousand. I don’t agree that the moderator is the person stopping certain genres of flying related discussion – as Peter said above it’s up to posters to generate the content they want to see. I don’t think this is forum is a likely place for someone flying a Skyranger from a grass field in Spain, for example, but I have made some posts about non certified planes and plan to continue to do so.

Last Edited by IO390 at 16 Jan 14:42
United Kingdom

Vref wrote:

since pilots mostly have a more then standard identification

Long time ago my wife put this plate on our bedroom door

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

If you stiEmir wrote:

Long time ago my wife put this plate on our bedroom door

If the plate is still there, your the lucky one. I removed mine not sure which one stayed the normal or the pilot, still figuring it out:-)

EBST

Vref wrote:

If the plate is still there, your the lucky one.

I took the photo a minute before posting, so it’s still there

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I would say that, apart from a very tiny number of posts, the negativity here is proportional to the amount of effort needed to expand your wings like some here are able to do.

I would humbly add that, with all due respect, on some topics (always the same), our beloved admin has a hard time accepting things can somewhere happen differently than what he knows. That can deter some from engaging further on this forum.

LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

I would humbly add that, with all due respect, on some topics (always the same), our beloved admin has a hard time accepting things can somewhere happen differently than what he knows. That can deter some from engaging further on this forum.

I’d like to echo that, e. g. when it comes to “serious travel” with uncertified aircraft, which certainly can be done (under certain rules and with a little more hassle of course, though perfectly feasable…)

Edit: Only just have a look at the awesome trip report from Dan in his RV 7!

Last Edited by europaxs at 17 Jan 08:03
EDLE

I never said it can’t be.

What I focus on is the detail. I know a guy who bought a *fox (£80k or so) and when I told him he needs permits to fly it to much of Europe he was quite shocked. Actually it was a syndicate and none of the others knew either.

There are people who would prefer this stuff to not be discussed. I guess if it is somebody else who spent the 80k, that makes it allright…

EuroGA is supposed to be informative and correctly informative. It is not a “cheer leader” information source where challenges are glossed over and left for people to discover at their cost.

What Dan did is perfectly possible. I never said it wasn’t. The difference is that Dan knows how to do it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message