Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is EASA LAPL valid for anything in the UK?

AIUI, currently, whether you can fly to the UK or not depends on whether the UK accepts the EASA LAPL, not on what medical you have with it.

A more general thread is here: LAPL medical. The AME posting there (I used him for years) has, I believe, retired.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

Not more than 5 pax. No IR of any kind. Only SEP/TMG.

As a VFR pilot with a two place aircraft, can I keep flying anywhere if my medical changes over to a LAPL? And then in a year, I go back for the Class 2 and I get two years? Just seeing if I can avoid the hassle and cost of a medical every other year, since I’m (thankfully) in perfect health.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

The no-IR is due to the LAPL itself, not to the LAPL medical, arguably But you are right in practice, because a LAPL + Class 2 is still of no use for IFR (on the mainland, for sure).

On the mainland, the LAPL is really pretty useless.

Administrator

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

What can’t I do if I let my medical “degrade” to a LAPL?

Not more than 5 pax. No IR of any kind. Only SEP/TMG.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I’ve just started this thread

You should never degrade your medical unless forced to

Administrator

I’m sure I should know this, but what is the difference between a Class 2 and a EASA LAPL? I need to renew my Class 2 in the coming months, like I do yearly, but I have an additional year on LAPL. What can’t I do if I let my medical “degrade” to a LAPL?

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

What I was getting at is that it is an unlikely situation.

Also there is this thread on LAPL and UK airspace, which may be a handy data point.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

What would be the medical circumstances where you could fly on an LAPL and not on a PPL?

I have no idea of specifics. The transit from Class 2 to something less rigorous.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

What would be the medical circumstances where you could fly on an LAPL and not on a PPL?

We do have some AMEs here e.g. @afsag @justin and some others who I know are no longer working.

I believe the circumstances are actually very narrow. What happens much more often is that somebody gets a “health issue” and instead of fixing it (which may not be cheap) they chuck away their medical, somehow believing that they will now be ok…

What if you lost your medical

Administrator

If my medical status were ever to be downgraded I wouldn’t like to be unable to fly to the UK for practical purposes, this would be very inconvenient. So maybe I should get some basic UK licence as a backstop. Up to end-2022 I understand I can get my former UK-issued EASA PPL reissued (then three annual medicals!). Thereafter I could get it downgraded to UK LAPL or NPPL or whatever allows self-declaration. Just in case.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message