Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Irish Radio Phraseology

Sorry if this is obvious, but is English widely spoken at the smaller Irish (ROI) aerodromes?

If not, is there a basic phraseology guide somewhere to help me understand what’s going on in the circuit?

Last Edited by James_Chan at 23 Jul 14:14

I don’t understand the question.

Are you asking whether Gaelic is spoken (no) or whether there is likely to be anyone manning the radio (depends, but very often yes).

EGKB Biggin Hill

In France there are aerodromes marked FR-only. Pilots speak French there and if there’s someone manning the radio, they will be speaking French also.

I had wondered if some smaller aerodromes in ROI would be Irish/Gaelic only or primarily. If so, then a phraseology guide would then be helpful.

But if English is widely spoken and understood everywhere then I won’t need such a guide.

Last Edited by James_Chan at 23 Jul 16:19

Irish (Gaelige) is understood by maybe a quarter of people in the Republic of Ireland, spoken regularly by maybe 10%, and genuine first language for around 2%.

While it enjoys equal status with English as one of the official languages of the country, English is the universal day-to-day language.

A map of where Irish is spoken on a day-to-day basis (but even if there is an airport, they will use English)

Biggin Hill

Okay thanks. I had not realised the use of English was so widespread there!

Last Edited by James_Chan at 23 Jul 17:07

Ireland uses English for aviation.

@dublinpilot and I flew around it in 2014 – report here. It doesn’t surprise me the Aran Islands (in Cobalt’s map above) still speak Gaelic

There is a mention there of another “protected community” which speaks it and they got their own airport… with the runway numbers painted backwards

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

James_Chan wrote:

Okay thanks. I had not realised the use of English was so widespread there!

Maybe more than they actually wanted

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Cobalt wrote:

Irish (Gaelige) is understood by maybe a quarter of people in the Republic of Ireland, spoken regularly by maybe 10%, and genuine first language for around 2%.

Pretty amazing as its given equal billing as Maths and English in the education system to the age of 18!

EIMH, Ireland

zuutroy wrote:

Pretty amazing as its given equal billing as Maths and English in the education system to the age of 18!

I don’t know about this particular case, but an analogy could be Swedish in Finland. Swedish is an official language of Finland, but the first language only of a small and decreasing part of the population. Swedish is compulsory in Finnish-speaking schools but still many Finnish-speaking Finns do not speak it or are uncomfortable enough that they don’t want to. The reason being that it is seen as pointless and there is a lot of resistance to the idea that Swedish should be compulsory in schools.

(The analogy is not complete as in Finland there are also nationalist reasons for not wanting the Swedish language.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In the Irish / Welsh context, practically the whole issue is nationalist, which is why – apart from local govt imposed political correctness – few care about it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message