Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Student and instructor both logging PIC

In the US, logging PIC is totally different from being the Pilot In Command

I am sure you mean logging pilot in command VS logging pilot operating controls

Logging PIC = being pilot in command and logging it no?

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Jul 14:26
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Logging PIC = being pilot in command and logging it no?

Emphatically no. The pilot logging PIC does not have to be the pilot acting as PIC. They are two different concepts. The pilot logging PIC has to comply with the logging rules contained in 61.51(e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time.

As an example, a private pilot with a single engine land rating that hasn’t flown in ten years and never flew a retractable or high performance aircraft and does not have a current flight review or current medical may log time in my Bonanza as PIC if they are the sole manipulators of the controls. There is no way they would also qualify to act as PIC in my Bonanza.

KUZA, United States

This has always been a weird concept for Europeans. For us, being PIC and logging PIC is exactly the same thing. Who manipulates the controls is largely irrelevant.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 15 Jul 17:56
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

For us, being PIC and logging PIC is exactly the same thing.

Not really. As the very first post in this thread said, FIs and FEs may log PIC even if they are not PIC.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I disagree. It does not say above that FIs and FE may log PIC time even if they are not PIC. As Snoopy said:

On the other hand „may log as PIC time“ could also mean the instructor can elect to „override“ the student’s eligibility for PIC and simply say „I’ll be acting PIC, you log it as dual received only!“ So who of the two is PIC is subject to the instructor‘s choice.

The can only be one pilot on board that logs PIC time. Because there can only be one PIC. You can‘t log PIC time if you are not the PIC.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 16 Jul 08:38
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

This could be a rabbit hole :)

Technically the crew member signing and accepting the Tech Log is Captain/PIC.

In training, at least in my UK/EASA experience, the student is only PIC when:

1. Flying solo
2. Undertaking a SPIC flight which he passes, and logs as PICUS
3. Undertaking a practical flight test, which he passes, also as PICUS

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

“The can only be one pilot on board that logs PIC time.”

The implementing rules do not make that requirement. Further, the Agency does not express that interpretation in the AMC. The presumption against surplusage leads to the opposite interpretation:

AMC1 FCL.050 Recording of flight time
(b) Logging of time:
(1) PIC flight time:
(iii) the holder of an instructor certificate may log as PIC all
flight time during which he or she acts as an instructor in an
aircraft;
(iv) the holder of an examiner’s certificate may log as PIC all flight
time during which he or she occupies a pilot’s seat and acts as an
examiner in an aircraft;

“Undertaking a practical flight test, which he passes, also as PICUS”

That practice on single-pilot aeroplanes is inconsistent with Part-FCL and AMC1 FCL.050.

London, United Kingdom

Ask yourself why are you a student, because you are not qualified to act as PIC under IFR.
How on earth can you log PIC when you are not qualified to be PIC.

FCL.600 IR – General
Except as provided in point FCL.825, operations under IFR on an aeroplane, helicopter, airship or powered-lift aircraft shall be conducted only by holders of a PPL, CPL, MPL and ATPL with an IR appropriate to the category of aircraft

@Tumbleweed

Because any PPL can go out VFR and practice rate one turns, climbs, descends… „IFR“ type holdings and procedures as PIC.

With an IRI on board, this time counts as instrument instruction. Technically, the PPL VFR can be PIC while receiving dual, and the IRI can log dual given without being PIC.

always learning
LO__, Austria

It’s quite dangerous. I’ve learned that there can be only one PIC and that is important, because you can’t have two people with “final authority” if something goes down the drain, so both people must be aware who will take the controls in case of, say, a crash landing on a, say, biannual check flight.

Berlin, Germany
Sign in to add your message