Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can you become a (remunerated) Flight Instructor with just a Class 2 medical (EASA)?

Mitor wrote:

Do you mean you could be an instructor without no additional requirements other than the PPL? i.e. no instructor course or at the very least some hours flown?

Of course, there was an instructor course (both theory and pratice), but both were nothing too demanding and could be done in two weeks (full time). There were also certain minimum requirements (PIC time) before one could start the course, but no IR or CPL were required. Anyway, we are talking almost 20 years ago now…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

carlmeek wrote:

I wanted to add that I tried to start a helicopter FI course assuming the rules are the same…. But apparently not, you need a full CPL to be an FI so that’s me out.

You may want to have a look at FCL.205.H PPL(H) (B):

Notwithstanding the paragraph above, the holder of a PPL(H) with instructor or examiner privileges may receive remuneration for:
1. the provision of of flight instruction for the LAPL(H) or the PPL(H)
2. the conduct of skill tests and proficiency checks for these licences;

FCL.915.FI FI — Prerequisites (A) & (C)

Looks like for an FI you require 10 hours instrument instruction and 20 hours VFR cross country like the FI counterparts. In addition an FI requires 250 Hours on Helicopters including at least 200 hours if holding a PPL(H) and having met the CPL theoretical knowledge requirements. Only 100 PIC required if you hold a CPL(H).

So it looks like you will need to do the CPL(H) theory as there doesn’t seem to be a LAPL(H) only restriction like there is with an FI without CPL theory but you don’t actually require the CPL itself, also a Class 2 will suffice.

FI(R)
Prestwick (EGPK), United Kingdom

“Yes, the UK grandfathered PPL FIs to BCPL and the one I had, now dead, even taught the IMCR without ever having had any instrument training”

If I remember correctly and I was very young when I took this route you went from AFI to FI.

Which in today’s would would the be equivalent of going from restricted to an unrestricted FI with IRI privileges.

The AFI to FI ourse and test assessed you on your ability to teach instrument flying and gave you those privileges afterwards. So back in the day there were lots of FI’s who could teach for the IMC/IR.

Also as the UK CPL (not BCPL) had inbuilt IMC privileges for life it was much more cost effective in keeping all those privileges current.

Last Edited by Bathman at 16 May 08:29

Recently the regulation is changed….

If you’re interested in Flight instructions and nothing more, you can gain your CPL TK on your own, not following a CPL Training Course. The problem is how the local CAA recognize this part of regulation.

Italy

“Yes, the UK grandfathered PPL FIs to BCPL and the one I had, now dead, even taught the IMCR without ever having had any instrument training”

I think there is a bit of confusion here. Any FI who upgraded from from AFI had to pass the upgrade course which was 7 hours instruction in Instrument Flying, what is now known as the IRI Couse. Additionally, to become an FI you had to hold an IMC rating which included 15 hours instrument training. The alternative was to have completed 10 hours instrument training as part of a CPL course. Pilots who had the CPL and had completed that training acquired a built in IMC rating without necessarily having to have undergone training and assessment in Instrument approaches which was often referred to as applied IF. Nobody would ever have taught the IMCR without any instrument training!

Hello together

❓I have a question❓

To be allowed to train as a flight instructor CPL, do I need a valid Medical Class 1?
I have read in an Examinerguide that the examiner who checks the CPL must have a Class 1 Medical, in reverse an FI should also, correct?

I would be grateful for a reference to the FCL. 🙏

Switzerland

HB-JAN wrote:

To be allowed to train as a flight instructor CPL, do I need a valid Medical Class 1?

Is your question “Do I need a valid medical class 1 to give flight instruction for the CPL”?

If so, yes. To teach for a certificate you need to hold the same or a higher certificate – FCL.915(b)(1). So to teach for the CPL you must have a CPL yourself (or an ATPL…). To hold a CPL you always need a class 1 medical certificate – MED.A.030(c)(5).

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Is your question “Do I need a valid medical class 1 to give flight instruction for the CPL”?

Yes exactly, sorry for my unclear question.
Thank you!

Switzerland

Airborne_Again wrote:

To hold a CPL you always need …

I disagree. The language in MED.A.030(c)(5) is “[w]hen exercising the privileges of a … CPL…” which mirrors the language in FCL.040. Otherwise, it follows that a CPL ceases to be held once the medical expires, which seems contrived.

London, United Kingdom

I had in mind that the initial issue of the CPL requires a class 1 medical… at least the CPL issue request form of the Luxembourg CAA asks for that, I have never checked the legal requirement for that.

ELLX
Sign in to add your message