Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA CFI conversion to EASA FI

Hello aviators,
Im a career CFI in California. I have 6000 hours with CFII, MEI and ATP ratings. I am also a CSIP. I do not have type ratings or multi crew experience. I instruct in Cessna, Cirrus, Piper, Beechcraft etc aircraft. I focus on private, instrument and commercial students, flight reviews and instrument proficiency.

I have been an instructor since 1994 and my goal now is to instruct in France. Initially I am interested in converting my Commercial, and CFI and at some point the CFII… I have researched the conversion process but do not understand exactly what I need to do and where to begin…

I understand I will need a Class 1 medical, which I will get before starting the process. If I plan on teaching in France do I get the medical in France? Any recommendations on which place to go?
Do I need to do the ATPL theory? I don’t care about converting my FAA ATP, but from what I understand the ATPL theory and sitting for exams is required?

Any insight and advice would be greatly appreciated.

KPRB KSBP , United States

@SierraJuliet I suggest you email the DSAC (a section of the DGAC) in the office which covers the area in which you are looking to live. The list can be found on the DGAC website. There are some Q and As which might answer some of the questions. For more individual questions the DSAC licencing personel are both knowledgeable and helpful.
Class 1 medicals are only possible in selected places such as Bordeaux. A list for class 1 AMEs can also be found on the DGAC website.
The majority, I would say, of PPL and LAPL training.in France is carried out in clubs and the majority of instructors are unpaid or only paid expenses and their insurance is covered. Insurance for instructors is usually taken out through the FFA and they are a good source of information as the majority of clubs and club members belong.
My guess is that a business, operating as a school but only concentrating on LAPL and PPL is not a viable proposition IMO.
Before Covid non club schools ie businesses covering courses from PPL to ATPL including SEI and MEI were in need of instructors and searching hard for them. Whether that is still the case since Covid, I don’t know. The salary structure, I don’t really know. I have heard that some got a basic salary whereas others were paid by the hour often directly by the student.
Sorry I can’t be much help on the process you have asked about but it is something I have no experience of.

France

Unless you intend to apply for an ATPL in the future it will be more efficient to complete only the CPL theory and exam. Enrolment in a CPL theory course will be required. The IR theory and exam is not required for applicants with an ICAO IR and 50 PIC IFR hours. Instead, IR knowledge will be demonstrated to the examiner during the IR skill test. It is possible to attach an instructor certificate to a PPL however instruction is limited the LAPL level until the CPL exam has been passed.

To obtain the CPL an EASA ATO would need to develop a training plan based on your needs and which satisfies the competent authority which will issue the licence. The training and testing for that can be done at any ATO including those in the US. The written exams can also be done in the US if you prefer. There are no written exams for the flight instructor certificate. There is one short exam for the multi-engine piston land class rating. No further training is formally required for the IR although some coaching towards the skill test is strongly recommended. The skill test must be done in a multi-engine aeroplane if IR privileges on that class are required. The upgrade from SE to ME IR involves only five hours of ME instrument flight training, three of which can be done in a synthetic flight training device, so you might want to kick that into the long grass.

Your US flight instructor certificate should yield a credit towards the training required for the equivalent EASA certificate in accordance with article 3(b) of Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/723. Certificates are explicitly included in that provision. The competent authority for France does not mention this in section 6 of its guide Programme de Formation Adapte pour Les Titulaires D’une Licence ou Qualification OACI (pdf link) so you might need to shop around for an authority which gives a sensible credit. Although it is no longer an EASA member, the UK CAA reduces the required training for the flight instructor certificate to 30 hours ground and 15 hours flying.

It should be possible to undertake the CPL training and testing before holding a valid class 1 medical although one would be required for licence issue. Dr Mark Rubin, Ormond Beach Florida, might be able to do an initial class 1 exam. The state which issues the medical certificate must also issue the pilot licence although you are free to choose.

London, United Kingdom

How good is your French?
Try talking to Roger Sprague at Limoges he may be able to help you.
https://aeroclubdulimousin.wixsite.com/aeroclub-du-limousin

JulietSierra,
Here is the DGAC (French authority) page concerning license conversion.
https://www.ecologie.gouv.fr/titres-aeronautiques-etrangers

According to this document, you get to pass the written and practical test. Although, the training could be tailored by the ATO according to your experience after approval by the DGAC.

this form https://www.ecologie.gouv.fr/sites/default/files/89iFormlic.pdf gives the email address [email protected]
Probably worth a try to contact them directly.

You should definitively “shop around for an authority which gives a sensible credit”. Even if is it the same regulation within Europe, not all states apply it the same way. Some are much easier to deal with.
Remember, your license will be managed by the state that keeps your medical on file. I would stay away from Germany because it won’t forward your medical to another state if you decide to go somewhere else (at least, it was the case few years ago).

I know of 2 instructors who have FAA / European license. Maybe they can help:
- Christian Piard, https://www.piard.fr: I converted my FAA IR to EASA IR with him.
- Alexandra Zainal, https://www.orbifly.com/index.php?mode=8&lang=ENG: never got trained by her but got good feedback from friends who did.

hope this help.
Emmanuel

LFBR

Qalupalik wrote:

Unless you intend to apply for an ATPL in the future it will be more efficient to complete only the CPL theory and exam. Enrolment in a CPL theory course will be required. The IR theory and exam is not required for applicants with an ICAO IR and 50 PIC IFR hours. Instead, IR knowledge will be demonstrated to the examiner during the IR skill test.

The difference between study load for CPL and ATPL theory is very very small and at most schools both cost the same as well. I heard some integrated-ATPL schools prefer for all their instructors to have an ATPL theory certificate. So you might as well just get the ATPL theory immediately and be done for all future ratings.

SierraJuliet wrote:

If I plan on teaching in France do I get the medical in France? Any recommendations on which place to go?

As others said, you can pick any EASA state. Do you speak French? If you do, go for France since it’s easiest to have things local after you move there, but if you don’t speak French you could shop around.

Netherlands

The difference between study load for CPL and ATPL theory is very very small

We did that here some years ago. The difference was perhaps 1/3 back then.

and at most schools both cost the same as well.

That is completely non-surprising

Do you speak French? If you do, go for France since it’s easiest to have things local after you move there, but if you don’t speak French you could shop around.

Is it a good idea to do a professional license in a language other than English?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message