Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK NPPL SSEA to UK PPL(A) Conversion

10 Posts

While awaiting for the UK CAA to give me a definite answer, is there someone that can guide to what is needed for someone wishing to obtain a PPL from a UK NPPL SSEA, except for the PPL skills test?

The CAP manual is “reference only” and been told it’s not relevant anymore.

United Kingdom

Depends when the SSEA was issued. If it is after 7 April 2018 they are stuffed.

Posts are personal views only.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

Thanks MattL.
It’s before 2018.
Do you know specifically what is needed and if any references?

United Kingdom

Firstly its just a paper excerice to get a LAPL

If you want a PPL then you can go via the virtual LAPL route

The LAPL(A) to PPL(A) upgrade course comprises at least 10 hours flight instruction of which at least 4 hours is supervised solo, including at least 2 hours of solo cross country flight time with at least 1 cross-country of 150nm landing at two airfields different to the airfield of departure.

Exactly as @bathman explains – plus full PPL test

FCL 210.A para (b)

Last Edited by MattL at 04 Aug 08:16

Firstly its just a paper excerice to get a LAPL

If you want a PPL then you can go via the virtual LAPL route

The LAPL(A) to PPL(A) upgrade course comprises at least 10 hours flight instruction of which at least 4 hours is supervised solo, including at least 2 hours of solo cross country flight time with at least 1 cross-country of 150nm landing at two airfields different to the airfield of departure.

@bathman

Thanks for your reply.
I am trying to understand why you say UK NPPL SSEA to LAPL is just a paper exercise? I am reading FCL.110.A, setting out the requirements for a LAPL as below:

FCL.110.A LAPL(A)
Requirements for a LAPL(A)
(a) 30 hours flight instruction including at least
1) 15 hours dual flight instruction in the class of aeroplane in which skills test is undertaken
2) 6 hours of supervised solo time including 3 hours of solo cross country with at least 1 flight 150km (80nm) with 1 full stop landing at an aerodrome different from departure aerodrome

Crediting
Applicants with prior PIC experience may be credited as decided by DTO/ATO, but shall be:
• Not more than total flight time as PIC
• Not more than 50% of hours required in (a)
• Not include the requirements in (a)(2)

As I see it, maximum to credit therefore, 15 hours (50% of 30 hours).
Therefore one still needs the remaining 15 hours on the skills test aircraft and still need 6 hours supervised solo.

Am I missing something?

Last Edited by TwinPiston at 05 Aug 16:01
United Kingdom

Yes – if they are after a U.K. FCL LAPL they can use the National to FCL conversion route

Thanks MattL.

So to confirm, when you say National to FCL conversion route, then essentially they need the 15 hours dual (50% of 30 hours maximum allowed credit) and 6 hours supervised solo? And that’s just for the LAPL.

United Kingdom

TwinPiston wrote:

I am trying to understand why you say UK NPPL SSEA to LAPL is just a paper exercise?

Because if your SSEA rating was issued to your NPPL before the 7th of April 2018 there is no flying involved to get a LAPL.

Its fill in paperwork (SRG1104) pay the CAA cash (just under 50 quid) and they will send you a LAPL.

And you don’t even need a LAPL medical a PMD will do.

Last Edited by Bathman at 13 Aug 09:30

Many thanks for your help.

United Kingdom
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message