Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Installation of parts and appliances released without an EASA Form 1 or equivalent

It is definitely not LAA – it’s a CAA Restricted C of A.

I’ll have to check with the LAA to see if it’s able to be put on a Permit to Fly, but I did see that it was still not possible as of December 2020.

I have spoken to my maintenance organisation and the response I got was “no can’t do that” but wish you could….

Learning & burning
Popham, United Kingdom

Have you asked the CAA? You might find someone “Beagle Pup friendly”.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh, thanks so much for your input – I had actually come to the same conclusion and will be calling on Monday.

I will of course post the outcome of this enquiry!

Learning & burning
Popham, United Kingdom

Am I right in thinking that I can buy a used IFD 440 from an avionics supplier in the US and replace my 430 with it under this ‘owner takes responsibility’ clause?

EIMH, Ireland

Good question, I think yes.
But the IFD440 comes with an STC anyway…

always learning
LO__, Austria

The STC will cover the certification of the installation*, but it won’t help with “traceability” requirements of a unit sourced from a US seller, no EASA-1 form, and an 8130-3 is (traditionally) no good for a used part for an EASA-reg plane (it is fine for an N-reg, which actually needs no form at all but very few people know that).

So the European buyer does need to rely on this concession (the subject of this thread).

* you then get the debate of whether the STC covers a non-dealer installation for example.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Avionics shops can issue a EASA Form 1, I heard quotes of 250€ for this service.

Here is the table, but for ELA1/2 it’s not really applicable anyway.

My go to avionics guy installs used parts and takes care of the paperwork all day long in SEPs

always learning
LO__, Austria

Avionics shops can issue a EASA Form 1, I heard quotes of 250€ for this service.

They can, but only if testing the part is within their 145 approval scope (not sure of the correct terminology, @wigglyamp may know more).

As a result, not many can. One well known UK shop which did a lot of this packed up the service when an old guy retired a few years ago. Not sure who does it now. One firm I used to repair a KR87 ADF was renting an EASA-1 printing facility of one of their competitors down the road; I was quite surprised to see who issued the form

It is like the SDMP discussion…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

They can, but only if testing the part is within their 145 approval scope

It’s usually called the capability list, and there are a lot more shops that can test and certify a good unit than those that can repair a broken one. Here in Czechia, the cost of issuing a Form 1 may be still lower, I’ve seen 120-150 EUR.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I had a used Nav122d recertification done by Avionicare at Southend. It took a week, cost £450 including a repair of a sticky needle.

They issued a new form 1 with it and my avionics guy was happy to install it in the pup.

Learning & burning
Popham, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message