Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do you see the tower?

I didn’t at first. This video is certainly a good reminder to evaluate flights for such obstacles and brief them accordingly. Even more so when on flying holiday in the US.

Forum doesn’t accept YouTube link so I created a tinyURL workaround.

[ URL fixed – complicated reason, not clear why, could be two consecutive dashes; fixed by putting it between plus there needs to be a space after the URL as shown ]

Last Edited by Snoopy at 14 Sep 18:29
always learning
LO__, Austria

That’s a nasty one. But later in the video it shows the tower with big flashing lights on it, no?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

tower with big flashing lights on it, no?

I noticed it too, maybe it is indeed lighted now?

Anyway, the first few seconds I couldn’t see the tower, and that’s a good reminder to familiarize with obstacles when flying somewhere.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Especially in the flat lands of northern germany, where I do most of my flying so far, it’s essential to take care of obstacles during flight planning. There are a lot of windmills (power stations) and small antennas, even in the vincinity of small aerodromes. In dusty conditions some of them ar nearly invisible.

EDHN, EDVM, Germany

A few years ago I went on vacation in northern Germany after a long time of vacations elsewhere. I was really astonished to find the country like that:

From the ground it looks almost like a forest of wind turbines. Compared with these a tower seems quite harmless since it doesn’t actively reach out for airplanes. Engine out must get quite interesting.

EDQH, Germany

I know a guy who once flew, in “marginal VMC”, low level, and saw a wind turbine blade pass in front of him.

He never flew low level in marginal VMC again

Administrator

Was he inbound to EGKA from the sea

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

No; this was over Belgium or somewhere out there, where the CAS base is 1000ft or so. Lots of people fly very low there, if VFR, and afraid of talking to ATC. It was many years ago and he doesn’t fly any more.

Administrator
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message