Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

I don't get RVs

What is the deal? I see no groundbreaking innovation there, just a bog standard plane designed exactly the same way most other planes are. Why is everyone so obsessed with these, talking about the “RV grin” etc? What does this plane do that a plane that looks just like it (take your pick from the at least 50 other ones who do) doesn’t?

It is fast, good looking, fully aerobatic and it can be built for much less money than what another plane with similar capabilities would cost.

AdamFrisch wrote:

What is the deal?

They look nice from every angle

EDDS - Stuttgart

But kidding apart, what I have been told is that their big selling point is their finite build time. A normal person (who needs to go to work during the day) can actually assemble and fly one within his limited life span. Which is not something all those superfancy state-of-the-art wonderplanes can claim.

EDDS - Stuttgart

AdamFrisch wrote:

I see no groundbreaking innovation there, just a bog standard plane designed exactly the same way most other planes are. Why is everyone so obsessed with these, talking about the “RV grin” etc?

Really no idea either – I would rather choose a Europa anytime

EDLE

thats because you havent flown one.
get a ride then you would understand the rv grin
i owned a skylane 182TRG for 20 years the most boring airplane ever built for 2000 hrs never bit me, use to doze off when going long distances droning at 155 knots
my rv8 is a taildragger and the grin is there every hour, 170 knots at 11 gal/hr with long tanks i have 52 gallons g3x a/p a hoot for aerobatics, formation flying and just bumming around

get a ride you then may understand

KHQZ, United States

I suspect another reason is that the RV kit is basically good quality, not the junk which so many kits contain like crappy plastic hoses for the fuel and hydraulics, and I am talking about e.g. a €80k kit. At that price level there is no reason to use such rubbish components, which cost an insignificant amount to do properly.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

AdamFrisch wrote:

just a bog standard plane designed exactly the same way most other planes are

So it may seem to an untrained blindfolded eye.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

KHQZ, United States

Adam, if you check the performance numbers you’ll find that in spite of a constant chord wing etc, RVs have really, really good speed and climb performance in comparison to other planes of similar complexity and power. It’s the result of very careful detail design and relatively low weight, while still remaining a pretty sturdy, maintainable aircraft that has long life and high resale value. That plus aerobatics, baggage capacity and a stable manufacturer is why people buy and build them. It’s just a really well done product for the market it serves.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 Sep 23:43
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message