Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How far can you go?

I’ve just come across this fun website which plots a radius around a given point.

So let’s look at the best-economy zero-fuel and zero-wind ranges of some aircraft, around Shoreham (EGKA):

TBM850 1700nm

TB20 1300nm

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Some years ago we imported a TB20 from the USA, and it was flown home without ferry tanks via Goose, Narsarsuaq, and Reyjavik. That web site reminds me how few options the pilot had….

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

You can never have enough range. It’s the fastest speed mod you can get.

55% cruise is pretty pointless, isn’t it? Who does that?

My TR182 has the same range as the TB20 which is no miracle as it’s got the same fuel capacity (333l). I think you can optimize your range profile just by moving from the UK to a more central location in Europe, in your case 70% of your coverage is the North Sea

55% cruise is pretty pointless, isn’t it? Who does that?

The RV-4 cruises at 150 knots at 55% with a O-320, and 170 knots at 75%. The little Onex cruises at 135 knots at 75%.

The WT9 Dynamic cruises at 250 km/h (135 knot), and with the large tanks, it has a range of 1600 km

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The RV-4 cruises at 150 knots at 55% with a O-320, and 170 knots at 75%

170kt IAS ?

Administrator

170 Kts TAS is pretty much 100% for a 160HP RV-4 that’s well faired and with a cruise prop. 150KTAS at 8000’ is a reasonable cruise for same.

But Jon Johansson has achieved 3750 miles in 26.5 hours in his RV-4 albeit with a little additional fuel!

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

Van’s published performance data is regarded as reliable. The speeds are doubtless TAS.

RV 4 Performance

Despite your preference for IAS, cruise performance numbers are still normally given in TAS.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

TAS is totally and completely meaningless unless the altitude and temperature is specified – as you know

One may as well be specifying the GPS ground speed…

Administrator
48 Posts
Sign in to add your message