Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

High TIT, CHT, and rough running engine (and changing the magneto type)

It would be great to have a report on the impact of the Eloctroair on your aircraft, @privateflyer. Did you see much increase in CHTs?

EGTF, LFTF

Peter wrote:

ou need to put in another magneto, and what the exact options there? One should think about the ~1500 who read EuroGA daily and who will be asking this exact question, and will wonder what motivation there is to not include the answer.

Sorry; indeed, it may not be so obvious to casual readers, so here you go:

Look in the engine’s TCDS. The OP has a SR22 so that means it has a Continental 550. The TCDS allows for either Slick of Bendix mags and witth or sans presurisation (as previously pointed out by Antonio) .

So if one “ditchs” the Slicks then Bendix replaces . Of course there are STC options too.

Last Edited by Michael at 19 Dec 06:15
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
The TCDS allows for either Slick of Bendix mags

That’s cool !

The installation from both was in August, but due to heavy engine problems, the Electroair came out and was send to the manufacturer. They found one bad cable, perhaps due to false treatment while installation. So I flew nearly 50 hrs only with the Charger and this was impressive- unbelieveable climb rate and 10-12 kts TAS faster LOP.
2 weeks ago the Electroair ignition came in and the engine runs extremely smooth from 800-2700 rpm, even it is cold. Startups are a pleasure and power is stable. LOP Ignition test in FL 140 is amazing, smooth engine. I now want to test it in FL 180.
I am very happy with it now, only a few are flying in this combination worldwide, but a lot of money was spent!!

Sebastian S.
EDAZ, Germany

privateflyer wrote:

10-12 kts TAS faster LOP.

At what MP and fuel burn ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

24 MP / 15 gal

Sebastian S.
EDAZ, Germany

A mechanic once recommended overhauling the magnetos separately so they’re different ages, and less likely to both fail at the same time. I imagine this is very unlikely though.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

That sounds like a very good idea.

How about also using a reputable shop for the mag work?

Most people use the cheapest shop they can find for any maintenance, and (many previous posts here) it is “a dead easy thing to overhaul a mag because it is 19th century technology” etc etc etc. I used to know one shop which (like many) had a “magneto department” and looking at how they worked I would not have got them to fix my lawn mower.

There are a few (very few) firms in Europe which have a consistent good reputation, while one with the most fanatical following seems to have produced a good % of cockups… I use QAA in Oklahoma for my mag work, even though the shipping is expensive.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Capitaine wrote:

A mechanic once recommended overhauling the magnetos separately so they’re different ages, and less likely to both fail at the same time. I imagine this is very unlikely though.

Yep, I did that when I got my engine overhauled. One of the magnetoes had been overhauled less than 2 years earlier so I decided to keep it as it was.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
39 Posts
Sign in to add your message