Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

High TIT, CHT, and rough running engine (and changing the magneto type)

eddsPeter wrote:

That‘s what I mean.

Slick mags are crap. Period.

The BEST preventative Mx that you can perform on an engine with Slick mags is to ditch them !

Last Edited by Michael at 18 Dec 06:59
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael wrote:

Slick mags are crap. Period.

The BEST preventative Mx that you can perform on an engine with Slick mags is to ditch them !

We have Bendix S6RN-1225 monster-size mags on our TSIO-520, fly often at or above FL200 and never had an issue in our admittedly short (150hrs) experience. Note: the optional pressurization kit is not installed. These mags are so big they do not seem to need it and comments on pressurizing them are mixed (ie little gain but lots of crap being pumped into them).

Can these mags not be installed on the SR22’s 550 engine?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Having working in high voltage in a previous life, I am sure that the need for pressurised mags is very closely related to how sloppy your spark plug gaps are. If a gap is bigger than needed, that translates directly to a greater stress (in volts/metre) inside the magneto.

But then the engine won’t run at all

You need to put in another magneto, and what the exact options there? One should think about the ~1500 who read EuroGA daily and who will be asking this exact question, and will wonder what motivation there is to not include the answer.

You would surely need an STC to change a mag type. An engine is certified with the mags specified on its TCDS. It may be possible with a field approval (on an N-reg) but I am not sure what sort of approved data you would need to submit for that.

A PMA magneto would also work to support a legal substitution; no idea if any exist.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

One option for some aircraft is to replace one magneto with the Electroair EIS (electronic ignition system). I did this on my AA5B a few years ago. It certainly improved both cold and hot starts. Although I don’t have objective data I think the engine produces a bit more power. They now have FAA STC’d versions for six cylinder Contis and Lycos as well as the 4 cylinder versions. I’m not sure if Cirrus is on the EASA Approved Model List though.

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

It is. I have done it with the Electroair ignition on my SR22. It works perfectly, additionally I upgraded withe the FAT Supercharger..Nice….

Sebastian S.
EDAZ, Germany

Peter wrote:

An engine is certified with the mags specified on its TCDS

But that includes several mag types already, without the need for an STC

Antonio
LESB, Spain

That must be engine dependent, because e.g. mine doesn’t have such a benefit.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From the FAA TCDS E5SO Rev12 for TSIO-550 engines

Note 10. The following magnetos are suitable for use on these engines.
CMI/TCM S6RSC-25P or Slick Champion 6220 or 6320 pressurized with appropriate pressurization system and
ignition harness.
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Peter wrote:

That must be engine dependent, because e.g. mine doesn’t have such a benefit

You are stuck with the bendix dual mag or an stc

Last Edited by Antonio at 18 Dec 21:07
Antonio
LESB, Spain

@privateflyer wrote:

It is. I have done it with the Electroair ignition on my SR22. It works perfectly,

Can you explain the benefit ? Improved power at altitude, even before supercharger installed ?

Sign in to add your message