Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Notams are just a pile of garbage

Someone pointed me to this very funny (but sadly all too true) youtube about NOTAMs. Apologies if everyone except me has already seen it:

LFMD, France

Working link:

ESME, ESMS

Link fixed. For YouTube just drop in the url into the post. See Posting Tips.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@johnh, just wonderful, thank you! :)

EGTR

This is one of my favourites. Every time I plan a little potter along the French coast from Cannes to say Avignon, I get this gem. Because who knows, I could easily set the HSI in the wrong direction and end up in the Mogadishu FIR below FL260. I get a whole bunch of others too, about Ethiopia, loads about Ukraine and Russia, …

DU: 08 02 2023 10:00 AU: 28 04 2023 23:59 EST
A) LIBB LIMM LIRR
Q) LIXX / QAFXX / IV / NBO / E / 000/999 / 4339N01139E999
E) ITALIAN AIR CARRIERS AND CAPTAINS OF AIRCRAFT IN CHARGE OF AIR SERVICES OPERATED BY CARRIERS HOLDING AN OPERATING LICENSE ISSUED BY ITALY, WHETHER THEY ARE CONTRACTUAL CARRIERS AND/OR OPERATING CARRIERS, OR PERFORMING AIR SERVICES THROUGH A WET LEASE OR A CODESHARE AGREEMENT AS WELL AS FOR ANY FLIGHT MADE WITH AN AIRCRAFT REGISTERED IN ITALY, ARE RECOMMENDED TO MAINTAIN AT ALL TIMES A FLIGHT LEVEL EQUAL TO, OR ABOVE, FL260 IN FIR MOGADISHU (HCSM).

LFMD, France

johnh wrote:

Because who knows, I could easily set the HSI in the wrong direction and end up in the Mogadishu FIR below FL260

In case you change your mind and go to HCMM, make sure you brief airport plates: either you circle above FL100 in NW or circle under 100ft in SE

Worth watching the video, you don’t fly missed instrument procedures

https://fearoflanding.com/crazy/360-at-100-feet/

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Mar 11:34
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

OK, I’ll criss Mogadishu off the list.

Here’s another good one. I mean, who HASN’T accidentally ended up in North Korean airspace. Trouble is, as the video says so well, all this BS clutters up the occasional thing you do need to know about.

DU: 03 02 2023 18:30 AU: 03 05 2023 23:59 EST
A) LIBB LIMM LIRR
Q) LIXX / QWMXX / IV / NBO / W / 000/999 / 4339N01139E999
E) HAZARDOUS SITUATION NORTH KOREA. NATIONAL AIR CARRIERS AND CAPTAINS OF ACFT IN CHARGE OF AIR SERVICE MANAGED BY CARRIERS HOLDERS OF OPERATING ITALIAN ISSUED LICENCE, WHETHER THEY ARE CONTRACTUAL CARRIERS AND/OR DE FACTO CARRIERS, OR PERFORMING AIR SERVICE WITH COMMERCIAL CHARTER AGREEMENT OR WITH CODE SHARING AND TO ALL FLT PERFORMED WITH ITALIAN CIVILIAN REGISTRATION ARE ADVISED TO TAKE ALL POTENTIAL RISK INFORMATION INTO ACCOUNT IN THEIR RISK ASSESSMENT AND ROUTING DECISIONS ABOUT FIR PYONGYANG (ZKKP). POTENTIAL RISK FROM BALLISTIC MISSILE LAUNCHES WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE
F) SFC
G) UNL

LFMD, France

Speaking of this topic, I recently MOR’d the situation of the NOTAMs at GCLP (Gran Caneria), when there were 118 NOTAMs, of which all but 15 or so were a list of coordinates for low level unmanned aircraft flight. In the 15 that were not about this, there was hidden some useful information about relevant runway and taxiway closures.

United Kingdom

It’s an illustration of what happens when you combine stupidity with an easy means of distributing stupidity

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s an illustration of what happens when you combine stupidity with an easy means of distributing stupidity

…for which the Internet as a whole absolutely can’t be beaten.

LFMD, France
Sign in to add your message