Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Funny random stuff

I had to google “Lived experience”. Apparently this is a real concept in the social sciences, but that doesn’t seem to be what the NHS ad refers to. Googling also turned up US and Australian government web pages that use the term in the same sense as the NHS.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

This Thursday, I was staying late in the hangar, measuring the engine parts. As I was returning them to mechanic’s workplace, I was surprised to see a shrew sitting on the shop bench. The first thought that came into my brain was: “Hey, it’s a supersonic mouse!”

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

but that doesn’t seem to be what the NHS ad refers to.

Somebody said the advert was for a job where you try to work out why a part of the population does not engage with the health service. I don’t really get this… most of the population has no interest in their health anyway, and they carry on until something breaks, then they see their GP and he gives them some pills or sends them off for an operation, chemotherapy, whatever, and then they are “fixed”, or they die, but most of the patients never really thought about it very much.

Recruiting people to do jobs with a weird unclear job description is a sign of an organisation which has lost its way. A recall IBM once employed two philosophers. The NHS lost its way the day it got started c. 1947. It is so big that nobody can run it. It hires some vast number of external management consultants. It functions well enough at the “front line”, which is what matters.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

does not engage with the health service

Because there is no point – when you need them it is always “come back next summer” or “visit us on the fifth of never” (with only exception of emergency part of NHS, like A&E, althought that one is also deteriorating rapidly). If you care about your health, then your only choice is to go private.

EGTR

That’s been the case since for ever. Demand for a “free” service is potentially infinite and is in practice regulated by varying the lengths of waiting lists. A&E is good and always has been good, and the rest has always been “free, 6 months, pay, this week”

Currently the newspapers are full of horror stories, probably connected to the strikes. I don’t buy this doom and gloom. What we have now, we always had – as I know from e.g. windsurfing accidents in the 1980s.

Private hospitals are much better managed, but then they have the luxury of more staff buy-in, etc, and would not be writing BS job specs like the above

Administrator

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Excellent @ibra, excellent

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Ultranomad wrote:

“Hey, it’s a supersonic mouse!”

Brilliant!

Germany

How Sussex pale ale used to get delivered to Normandie in 1944, on elliptical wings with smooth greasy landings

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Administrator
Sign in to add your message