Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Funny random stuff

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I took this today, “Falcon 123AB hold short for landing traffic, another twin”

Very cheap at 8k$ but since then handling & rudder skills went downhill…

Meanwhile in the US !

Last Edited by Ibra at 02 Jan 13:26
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

By analogy with “land-o-matic”, the Cessna factory-fitted autopilot was generally known as the “lost-o-matic”.

LFMD, France

Found this when clearing out the plane during an Annual. What is it for?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I never bothered with a stopwatch when learning and practising dead reckoning during the PPL course.

The watch on my wrist was more than sufficient for all timing tasks, without pressing any buttons, and it was one less thing to purchase and carry.

I’m aware some consider a dedicated stopwatch essential. I wonder why?

That said, it looks like a nice piece of kit.

Last Edited by Graham at 03 Jan 10:21
EGLM & EGTN

You see them on the old Lufthansa and Sabena Beech trainers. Glass have built in timer functions and are used in bashing away at NDB holds and no DME NDB or VOR approaches.

One IRE would fail the DME if the candidate failed to identify it as part of the approach checks, and if the candidate did not revert down to the no DME NDB procedure using the stopwatch the candidate would partial the non precision. Oh what larks!

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I bought one.of them along with a whizzy wheel and a special ruler etc on the advice of some UK pilot friends when I decided I’d like to get my PPL..
I wont say I never used any of them, but,I lost the stopwatch about 20 years ago, it might have been more,.I didn’t realise I’d lost it and I never replaced it.
It’s rare for French pilots to use a whizzy wheel as we were taught to rely on mental arithmatic.
And when we bought the charts etc a ruler came free with them.
Mind you that stopwatch looks exactly like the one.I lost 😁

France

I used the timer in the GNC255 but didn’t really need it because it’s really hard to get lost in Central Europe and during PPL training there is hardly time to leave the well-known areas.

During my exam the examiner made me fly at 1800ft AGL lest I can spot my destination already after takeoff. Didn’t help much since the motorway below me directly led to it anyway. And me having lived in the area for the whole of my life also made me mostly ignore the stopwatch.

EDQH, Germany
Sign in to add your message