Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and EU VAT status

For gliders, the fee to take the glider by car trailer and drive to the Alps is now 240£+VAT
It’s not required for those winching from Southend and landout in Calais

Also, the fee is not applicable if one is happy to cash pay 40% of the value of glider as deposit himself…

Also, seems about the fee for short aerotow retreive over the channel under ICAO temporary admission !

https://members.gliding.co.uk/uk-leaving-eu-and-easa-1st-jan-2021/

https://www.gov.uk/taking-goods-out-uk-temporarily/get-an-ata-carnet

https://members.gliding.co.uk/uk-leaving-eu-and-easa-1st-jan-2021/ata-carnets/

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Jan 12:18
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Also, the fee is not applicable if one is happy to cash pay 40% of the value of glider as deposit himself…

I fear that is not true. You have to pay BOTH. A 240GBP fee to get the ATA carnet and on top a refundable deposit for 40% of the value or a non refundable insurance for the amount.
I see a two way aerotow business opportunity coming up…

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Some interesting stuff on that gliding website:

The last bit is as expected; the Q is whether it will be widened to normal Part 23. Rumours suggest it might be.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sebastian_G wrote:

I fear that is not true. You have to pay BOTH. A 240GBP fee to get the ATA carnet and on top a refundable deposit for 40% of the value or a non refundable insurance for the amount.
I see a two way aerotow business opportunity coming up…

Yes, indeed you have to pay for carnet (I am sure you can’t return it blank to be eligible for refund ) then pay extra: non-refuneded insurance OR plain 2*VAT refundable, so about +600£ for 6 month trip in a 100k£ glider

I would not deposit 40k£ to save 400£ for 6months far better to throw it on UK Govt 6m bonds (even Barclays bank has +250bp credit spreads on top of Bank of England for 6m these days)

Also the refundable deposit bond opens cans of worms if aircraft end up AOG for obvious risks in the sport: it’s gliding near the Alps
A friend of mine left his Discus for 12months in a farm depot inside some valley after his botched landing, losing 30k£ on top is no fun…

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Jan 17:55

Hi all.

A friend is looking at a D reg aircraft that’s been in the UK for a few months (arrived before Jan 2021).
It has a EU vat certificate.

If it was to be transferred onto the G reg I presume VAT would be no issue because it was in the UK at the time of Brexit.

It would actually be great to talk to someone who knew about this area, it seems very complicated! Obviously happy be pay for professional advice. Any recommendations?

EGTR

A transfer of reg, within the UK, has no effect on VAT that I know of.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

And VAT status has no obvious relationship with aircraft registration…

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Mar 14:21

Are there any problems reported yet of UK aircraft being hit by surprise taxes for flying into EU – like import tax or VAT?

I have a UK registered Gyro which is curently in Austria – flew it here in August. I need to come back to the UK for the annual permit renewal in May and then take it back to Austria. Should I expect ‘import’ problems on the return.

Does it make any difference if I drive or fly it? Thinking of putting the Gyro on a trailer.

Austria

Gyrograham wrote:

I need to come back to the UK for the annual permit renewal in May and then take it back to Austria. Should I expect ‘import’ problems on the return.

I would suggest to look into an ATA Carnet, especially if you go by road.

This thread is locked. This means you can't add a response.
Sign in to add your message