Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Longest ownership of a particular aircraft and which mods you have done

Some amazing stories above!

Probably no coincidence that two Bonanzas dominate the rankings.

It is remarkable that the same 1950s airframe is still “current” for today’s GA IFR mission profile. But then there is a large (how large?) fleet which keeps a lot of manufacturers in business supporting the type. As a comparison, Socata’s TB fleet is now 1500-2000 and only a portion of them are TB20/21 and the others will likely get scrapped around ~30+ years, due to corrosion.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

1978 Cessna R172K owned since 1996 / 22 years.
Too many mods to list them all (N-reg )
Here are a few (instrument/avionics technology upgrades not included)
- Rosen visors
- BAS seatbelts
- 60A alternator (to handle all the new electrical drain
- Blue Power USB ports
- Sporty’s vents
- Horizon electrical tach
- JPI EDM & FF
- Alpha Systems mechanical AOA (heated)
- Sportsman STOL + wingtips w/ AeroLEDs, AeroLED Taxi/LL in nose & wig-wag function – lights the plane up like a christmas tree.
- Micro Aerodynamics VG
- Reiff cyl & oil pan heater

LSZK, Switzerland

I should add to my original list:

• Shadin fuel flow transducer relocated (per US STC) to remove the ~25% error – this became possible only when I went N-reg
  • EDM700 rebuilt from 2.25" to 3.125" and moved from RHS to LHS
  • Avidyne TAS605 traffic detection
Administrator

With EuroGA almost 10 years old, it’s time to bump this thread

Administrator

AA5B – Grumman/Gulfstream Tiger (since 2010):

- New STC’d prop (improved performance)
- W upgrade to the old 430
- Mode S transponder (Trig TT31)
- New paint
- New Tanis engine heater (remote controlled with an app)
- Some new interior (seats) and plastics

We plan for new carpets, a long list of avionics (G3X?) and probably an engine overhaul at some point.

FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway

First aircraft was Cessna 172M. Had it 25 years and as it was full IFR when purchased only changes was a bare metal strip and repaint (absolutely superb job done) and engine overhauled when I ran out of hours. Sold for a great deal more than I paid originally and bought a full IFR R172K (10 years ago now) with a huge number of mods already installed. The K is amazing, Isham mod makes it a great short field performer and a wonderful rate of climb. Only mods I have done is 2 new Nav/comms for the 8.33 spacing. Everything else works just fine.

UK, United Kingdom

ErlendV wrote:

AA5B – Grumman/Gulfstream Tiger (since 2010):

I love the Tiger and have many hours flying two of them in a club in the US. When I was buying my TB I got tempted by a couple that came up for sale, but I worried a bit about support for the airframe, especially in Europe. How have you found this?

EHRD, Netherlands

Just 10 years with my Malibu and changed a lot over time (most of it already factored in at time of purchase):
- Engine (550 to replace the 520)
- Panel (G500txi/GTN/…)
- AP (GFC600 – some time after the panel as the STC was not there when I did the panel)
- Brakes (Beringer)

Paint and interior is still the original but still too good to justify an update – and after talking to the piper company historian recently I’d tend to restore the pain when needed rather than a complete repaint.

Germany

Your Malibu really looks great. Maybe a trip report may be in order ?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I worried a bit about support for the airframe, especially in Europe. How have you found this?

This has not been a problem at all for the small Grummans, as many are still flying and the TC-holder has been most helpful. Fletchair in the US stock most parts and they have some Europeean distributors as well.

Last Edited by ErlendV at 23 Aug 17:21
FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway
Sign in to add your message