Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The best pilot you ever flew with, and why

Even though I only know him online but that for 30 years I would have to name John Deakin. Thus is a guy who lives and breathes aviation like few others. It is enough to read his book to know what I mean.

The other guy who left a very lasting impression on me has just recently passed away at 99 years. His name was Harry Hofmann and he tought astronavigation. He was the last living Navigator of Swissair legacy and easily the most intelligent man ever knew. Spoke 8 languages including Mandarin and Vietnamese and taught in all of them. And while the course was called Navigation, those 4 weeks were the best introduction to airline aviation I have ever experienced.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Best pilot I ever flew with is a guy with a huge flying experience, from seaplanes to bizjets, loads of ferry work across the Atlantic. He is really well organised an just bloody sharp and competent

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The only Pilots I’ve flown with so far have all been my FI in some capacity and have all been vastly better at flying than I am. I don’t think any of them is an outstanding pilot though, all of them had their deficiencies.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I’d have to say airshow pilot and Delta captain John Mohr. I took a ride in his Piaggio Royal Gull with him into some insanely small lakes in Minnesota. Fantastic skills and control.

Probably a renowned (in France at least) instructor in Montpellier, at what is probably France’s longest-standing ATO.

The guy has 27,000 hours on GA aircraft, and at one point even became a police officer just to fly a particular aeroplane owned by the French police.

I had wanted to learn about forward slips and turning slips (which don’t get taught on the european PPL) and he did a fantastic demonstration and simplified things in a way few instructors could.

Last Edited by Bordeaux_Jim at 17 May 12:51
LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)

AdamFrisch wrote:

I’d have to say airshow pilot and Delta captain John Mohr. I took a ride in his Piaggio Royal Gull with him into some insanely small lakes in Minnesota. Fantastic skills and control.

Nice article on he and the Gull in this month’s AOPA Pilot magazine. I’m amazed to read that the plane was certified aerobatic in Italy, although only Utility Category for FAA registry. I’ve watched videos of his routine in a stock Stearman and it’s scary, but he could do it.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 16 Apr 01:41

Yeah, Silvaire. Was so nice to see an in-depth article. I did email John right after, and everything is chugging along in the Gull world. More and more part/wreck planes are getting put back together, so that’s good. It’s such a great aircraft. And if you’re turned on by total freedom and autonomy, it’s the ultimate plane for that.

I did a checkride (my multi engine instrument) with Debby Rihn-Harvey.

https://www.iac.org/2007-hall-of-fame-debby-rihn-harvey

I also had the privilege to fly an impromptu formation flight with her once down to the practise area.

Andreas IOM

I had a student who was ex NZAF MD Skyhawk A4 and ex Fleet Air Arm Harrier, that was an easy civilian IR conversion :)

Alan Cassidy and Mike Collett have forgotten more about aerobatics than I will ever learn. Cassidy liked to check his 3/4 negative flick roll on a regular basis :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Two come into mind. A former captain of mine on the turboprop. Very calm, soft-spoken guy, his middle name could have been “Twin Otter”, previously a Pilatus Porter Jockey. Flew in South Sudan and those cozy places. He definitely taught me some tricks.

The second one is a very nice French captain on the jet. Flew everything, agricultural, firefighting, has his own Pitts and just breathes aviation. Knows the books in and out, and witnessing him flying the jet is something else.

LEBL, Spain
Sign in to add your message