Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SR22 N844MS - chute deployment or not?

I met the pilot of the SR22 in the 1st post, some time ago. They were flying fairly slowly in the circuit, to remain behind other circuit traffic as one is supposed to, and then got a TAS/TCAS contact which they tried to avoid, and got too slow. That’s my recollection. If you fly a type which breaks from flight quickly upon stalling, this sort of thing can get you.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

" But in a high performance SEP it should be avoided at all cost:"

Why is a 360° turn at low level dangerous in a high performance GA aircraft? I’ve no experience of high performance aircraft, but do turns at low level. For other aircraft, I assume it was announced on the radio.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I’ve been a PAX once on a flight where the pilot did a 360 on final “for separation”. It scared the hell out of me!

Maybe this is common practice for pilots that have a background in gliding? But in a high performance SEP it should be avoided at all cost:

- you’re close to the ground, so no room for recovery
- other traffic in the circuit don’t expect you to do a 360
- its easy to lose situational awareness

The best way is to leave and rejoin the circuit…

In this specific case the chute was of no use. What probably helped with the survivability of this crash are the honeycomb seats which are designed to crush. And the landing gear which is made to absorb the shock of a parachute landing.

This one is another interesting case. It may be a chute deployment at excessive speed, or some other failure. The chute appears to be deployed while airborne, not upon impact.

Administrator

I guess there are similarities with another thread regarding a Cirrus that was “badly” handled by ATC following several aborted approaches in the States. This does demonstrate how easy it is to stall and not recover at low level (in any aircraft, not just a Cirrus) with one wing drop followed quickly by another in the opposite direction.

Administrator

Fuji_Abound wrote:

So in line with my comments about “CAPS alive” as a specific call at determined altitude?

Yes

Noe wrote:

I personally don’t do that (on SR22G5, I retract flaps as soon as >90 kts + positive rate of climb + past obstacles, get to Vy as quickly as possible, and call CAPS available at 600 ft AGL (which I is part of pre-take off / landing briefing))

So in line with my comments about “CAPS alive” as a specific call at determined altitude?

Flying a twin mostly I would say that I tend to recover the gear and flaps (if used) as quickly as possible after departure not least because in the event of an engine failure the less dangly bits the better. I can therefore see some justification as I mentioned before not associating cleaning up the aircraft with CAPS.

I meant for landing. You wouldn’t use flaps to get yourself further away from a tailplane stall. This could lead to a “false positive” (thinking you can use CAPS when you shouldn’t) if close to the ground.
But I agree having some sort of reminder system probably has a positive net effect.
I personally don’t do that (on SR22G5, I retract flaps as soon as >90 kts + positive rate of climb + past obstacles, get to Vy as quickly as possible, and call CAPS available at 600 ft AGL (which I is part of pre-take off / landing briefing))

Noe wrote:

If you have ice would be one of the reasons

True however if I was bimbling around in the SR20 in weather where ice was forecasted, I deserve everything I get But ultimately it still remains the same, i.e. upon reaching 500 feet I carry out the after departure check flow – CAPS, MAPS, FLAPS – it works…..

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 30 Nov 12:35
EDL*, Germany
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message