Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SR22 N844MS - chute deployment or not?

Fuji_Abound wrote:

Another way which one Cirrus centre in the US introduced to me recently was to verbally affirm CAPS alive as part of the climb out process on passing the briefed altitude but aligning with the flaps is probably just as good for most pilots I would have thought, if the association with the flaps is not always the perfect one.

For me it’s part of my 500 feet call out / flow process – CAPS (touching the handle to remind me it’s now available) MAPS (turning the MFD from motor page to the Map page and FLAPS (retracting the flaps). It’s good to physically touch the handle to remind you that, if every thing goes FUBAR, you have an immediate option…..

EDL*, Germany

I agree.

However, I think the logic is that the flaps may not always be involved and that is the danger of linking the two.

So a flapless approach and go around for example, and on the G5 maybe a higher DH, so an altitude at which regardless, you are affirming to yourself the CAPS is now available and therefore CAPS alive regardless of whatever else may or may not be happening. On the other hand I can see teh danger that without linking it to some other action you may just forget the affirmation.

It was a knew one to me.

I have the Skydemon height field set to AGL – the field in the top right corner of the map toggles between ALT/AGL

On climbout 500 agl = CAPS available

Fuji_Abound wrote:

I agree.

However, I think the logic is that the flaps may not always be involved and that is the danger of linking the two.

So a flapless approach and go around for example, and on the G5 maybe a higher DH, so an altitude at which regardless, you are affirming to yourself the CAPS is now available and therefore CAPS alive regardless of whatever else may or may not be happening. On the other hand I can see teh danger that without linking it to some other action you may just forget the affirmation.

It was a knew one to me.

Why would you ever fly a flapless approach? Serious question. Maybe due to a defect but my Cirrus has electronic relays, not the Bosch automotive type so they won’t normally fail. But you are missing the fact that it’s a flow process so I will start at the top, with the CAPS handle, then MAPS on the MFD, then set Flaps as appropriate. Even if these aren’t working, I will still perform the After Departure checklist at 500 feet QNH.

But let’s assume it’s a missed approach / go around. Full flaps are set on base, 50% on downwind, abeam the numbers. So any time after being downwind, I will have set at least one stage of flaps and on climb out due to a missed approach / go around, the full after departure checklist is still going to have to be done at 500 feet QNH. The flow process CAPS MAPS FLAPS is easy to remember, even easier to perform.

EDL*, Germany

If you have ice would be one of the reasons

Noe wrote:

If you have ice would be one of the reasons

True however if I was bimbling around in the SR20 in weather where ice was forecasted, I deserve everything I get But ultimately it still remains the same, i.e. upon reaching 500 feet I carry out the after departure check flow – CAPS, MAPS, FLAPS – it works…..

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 30 Nov 12:35
EDL*, Germany

I meant for landing. You wouldn’t use flaps to get yourself further away from a tailplane stall. This could lead to a “false positive” (thinking you can use CAPS when you shouldn’t) if close to the ground.
But I agree having some sort of reminder system probably has a positive net effect.
I personally don’t do that (on SR22G5, I retract flaps as soon as >90 kts + positive rate of climb + past obstacles, get to Vy as quickly as possible, and call CAPS available at 600 ft AGL (which I is part of pre-take off / landing briefing))

Noe wrote:

I personally don’t do that (on SR22G5, I retract flaps as soon as >90 kts + positive rate of climb + past obstacles, get to Vy as quickly as possible, and call CAPS available at 600 ft AGL (which I is part of pre-take off / landing briefing))

So in line with my comments about “CAPS alive” as a specific call at determined altitude?

Flying a twin mostly I would say that I tend to recover the gear and flaps (if used) as quickly as possible after departure not least because in the event of an engine failure the less dangly bits the better. I can therefore see some justification as I mentioned before not associating cleaning up the aircraft with CAPS.

Fuji_Abound wrote:

So in line with my comments about “CAPS alive” as a specific call at determined altitude?

Yes

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message