Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Buying a family plane (and performance calculations)

Antonio wrote:

Together with the loadsheet for that particular flight with 6 hrs worth of fuel with 90 kg to spare for kid’s future growth

@Antonio are you sure you’re not making some assumptions/estimates there that might be on the low side?

In particular, you are suggesting that all the baggage in the photograph weighs less than you do?

When operating with any load that is not quite obviously well under MAUW, it is my preferred policy to calculate on actuals as opposed to estimates. If I find myself forced to work with estimates, I make sure they are obviously higher than the actual.

EGLM & EGTN

Hi Graham. No I can’t be sure the figures are precise. They are only estimates. What I can be sure of is that there is ample margin (loadsheet + t/o performance) . When there is not then I have to run a more precise calc.
A total of around 150 lbs luggage. A lot of the volume is occupied by low density items so it is not as bad as it looks.
Let me figure, there are:

4 trolleys at 8 kg each (some are 6 some are 9) – 32kg
1 liferaft at 9 kg
1 cover at 6 kg
1 laptop bag + 1 flight bag at 5 kg
1 box incl one qt oil and tie down ropes and aluminum spikes 3 kg
4 backpacks avg 1.5kg each- 6 kg
1 child booster seat 0.5 kg
3 xmas present bags at 2 kg each – 6kg
4 lightweight chocks 1 kg

Total 68,5 kg but I wrote 65 kg on the sheet (25+30+10)…close enough

Oh, no, wait a minute, my wifé’s handbag is there too and not factored above…and that surely weighs a ton! (jokes aside, it’s a treasure cove in there) Better not to factor that one or we would never take off!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

Oh, no, wait a minute, my wifé’s handbag is there too and not factored above…and that surely weighs a ton!

“This weighs a ton, travel’s a curse,
but here we strive to lighten your purse!”

Sorry could not resist

Has nothing to do with aviation but applies to it like it was written for it.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Apologies for my lack of theatrical knowledge…can you give us a bit of background?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

That pic Antonio has some convincing power for women towards GA
Awesome work. Glad you can enjoy such a plane as a family.

Is it me or most of the happy family flyers are based around the Med ? Weather helps
I can’t get why everyone in southern france isn’t a pilot. With 300 sunny days, GA takes a whole new dimension.

LFOU, France

Ibra wrote:

Antonio, I showed my wife your picture, now I have troubles !

There is always the way out to a nice place and then there is the way back home post the usual ‘’shopping spree’’ to be fair she did bring back some shoes that were for her shop and not for personal use. This is a 4 day trip and what may not be visible so well on the picture is the second luggage cart behind this one ;-). Don’t tell her I posted this ;-) You don’t have to be 6 to fill most of the seats ;-)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

I am assuming you are the loadmaster

I am sure you can get a foldable 150kg trolley?

https://www.raja.fr/stockage-manutention-securite/manutention-et-transport-de-charge/chariots/chariot-manutention-costo-_skuCOSTO.html

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

You don’t have to be 6 to fill most of the seats ;-)

Well for UL or MTOW, you can communicate a conservative number to start and get the hit, but it ​will be hard to lie about the number of seats (unlike figuring out that your aircraft was STC’ed from 2700lbs to 2900lbs )

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 May 09:19
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Antonio wrote:

Apologies for my lack of theatrical knowledge…can you give us a bit of background?

With pleasure.

I like Matt Lucas’s version better but could not find a good YT rendition of it.

Somehow I think some airports have philosophies like that too. “Just a little slice, there a little cut” and “Jeezus it’s amazing how it grows” when talking about airport fees.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 06 May 10:12

Ibra wrote:

I am assuming you are the loadmaster

Actually, that was my job for the first 15 years in aviation

With larger airplanes mostly of course but you never get away from it even with small ones. One thing I learnt, you need to have a dirt easy to use WnB sheet to work with or not many will do the job regularly. Nowadays with our “japanese brains” or smartphones as they are called, WnB is dirt easy, so there is no excuse really.

I wonder how many people in that job can still fill out one of these today… in the day and age of electronic everything.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 06 May 10:22

Mooney_Driver wrote:

With pleasure.

THank you! never seen it be4! It resembles the style of many Spanish18th century literary masterpieces (incl Quixote)

Antonio
LESB, Spain
Sign in to add your message