Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Buying a family plane (and performance calculations)

Antonio, I showed my wife your picture, now I have troubles !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Oh no! Big mistake!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Heading to the gym, starting from tomorrow !
I forgot they are closed…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Antonio, I showed my wife your picture, now I have troubles !

If she has a PPL, get one of these:

I doubt that even some quite overpacking wives may end up filling that one.

And some have a beautiful cabin too:

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 04 May 22:27
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

My wife can pack for a week using one motorcycle saddlebag, and dress beautifully for dinner each night in doing so. I married her for a number of reasons, and as she knows well and reminds me occasionally, that was one of them.

I think she could even manage with the TB 30 storage area, which is almost non-existent.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 04 May 22:54

Silvaire wrote:

My wife can pack for a week using one motorcycle saddlebag, and dress beautifully for dinner each night in doing so. I married her for a number of reasons, and as she knows well and reminds me occasionally, that was one of them.

Congratulations

I recall a guy posting someplace about a plane for his family of wife and 3 daughters who created the hashtag #ineedafuckingtransall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transall_C-160

he might get lucky, the Luftwaffe has a few for sale. And quite a few Hueys as well.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 04 May 22:57
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I tried and failed to buy a Bonanza.
After the 1st touring holiday with the 210, in scorching heat, 2 doors and a sunshade (wings) were priceless.
In the pouring rain with bags to load, the ground below the wings was dry and so were we while we loaded.
If you have kids in the back and the wife is not large she can actually move inflight from front row to middle or even the rear with relative ease.
It’s perfect to attend to the kids if necessary.
If there’s only two of you aboard it’s easy to move to the middle row to sort drinks/snacks or for a toilet break too.
I love the Bonanza but that is one aircraft where moving from front to rear inflight is not really possible. It’s not an important feature but really nice for how we use the aircraft.

United Kingdom
I tried and failed to buy a Bonanza.
After the 1st touring holiday with the 210, in scorching heat, 2 doors and a sunshade (wings) were priceless.
In the pouring rain with bags to load, the ground below the wings was dry and so were we while we loaded.
If you have kids in the back and the wife is not large she can actually move inflight from front row to middle or even the rear with relative ease.
It’s perfect to attend to the kids if necessary.
If there’s only two of you aboard it’s easy to move to the middle row to sort drinks/snacks or for a toilet break too.
I love the Bonanza but that is one aircraft where moving from front to rear inflight is not really possible. It’s not an important feature but really nice for how we use the aircraft.

I’ve always been a high wing guy, but many years ago when I went to a backcountry fly-in up in a little grass strip in mountains with my Twin Commander, it was just heaven to be able to doze off under the wing in shade.

Antonio wrote:

My impression is however that the cabin is more ample in Saratoga than a 210 due, in part, to the club seating. Do you have that experience?

I used to have a C182 when the children were small. I remember there being more headroom in the Cessna, and more legroom for the pilot.

I have had 5 large males in the plane once (after the first annual we filled it up with a bunch of big guys hanging around the hangar) just to see what would happen (max gross weight with the cabin filled). It was fun, but it probably wouldn’t be after several hours.

I mentioned “we have a 6 place plane” to somebody once. My daughter was there and said “only if your family is all around 5’9” (175cm). Our family unit is more the “Norsk Viking” rather than the “Mediterranean” type you mention

The club seating does work well if you have 2 passengers in the back, or have to take some children, or need extra baggage space.

The main reason I bought the Saratoga for a family plane was probably because mine was built in the 2000s, so modern plane, with modern systems, that i could easily maintain to remain in perfect condition.

Silvaire wrote:

My wife can pack for a week using one motorcycle saddlebag,

Yes, congratulations!

In my wife’s defense I will say the “baggage” on the tarmac included the airplane cover, the liferaft, chocks, and the box for spare engine oil and tie-down equipment…summing maybe 40lbs out of the around 150lbs total bags I calculated. Additional toolbox is barely visible inside the bags compartment, though.

Antonio
LESB, Spain
Sign in to add your message