Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Headsets (merged)

I usually recommend the Lightspeed Sierra to new pilots, if they want to buy a new set. Excellent quality and features, and somewhat less expensive than the top sets from Bose and Lightspeed. Most of them end up buying the Bose A20 anyway…
I still have a couple of non-ANR headsets, but haven’t used them for many years. Readable audio is simply too important for safety. And, contrary to what some people say, ANR actually makes it easier to detect any strange noises from the airplane and the engine.
I still have a Bose X headset for spare/pax. It could be a very good first headset if found second-hand. Comfortable w/ ANR and no frills (but keep spare batteries at hand – passive noise reduction is terrible).
Presently I alternate between Lightspeed Zulu 3 and the Bose A20. I think the Bose holds the edge in comfort, while the Zulu has top clarity and the strongest cable out there – probably the only headset cable that the seat rails can run over without cutting it.
Flying many different older aircraft, my next headset could very well be the Delta Zulu with built-in CO-monitor. In just two weeks I have flown two different planes with badly leaking exhaust, one straight out of the shop. A CO monitor that is always with you makes good sense to me.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

I use the clarity aloft too and I love them, wouldn’t bother with the bluetooth module. It works fine but never use it, it’s a distraction.

EHTE, Netherlands

huv wrote:

A CO monitor that is always with you makes good sense to me.

I agree – I have an A20 but would buy the Lightspeed Delta Zulu if I were in the market today.

I love the concept of the in-ear headsets like the Clarity Aloft and the Card headset (https://cqheadset.com/) but I don’t like having something in my ear.

Last Edited by eurogaguest1980 at 27 Mar 19:22
Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

If it’s a new headset, I’m sure I’ll buy one and use my current A20 for passengers.

Available on Aero maybe?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Available on Aero maybe?

I would expect so. Not going to Aero myself I’d be very interested in a verdict of all of you. Even further improved noise canceling would interest me, and slightly bigger earcups compared to the A20 would serve me well.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

The A30 is now unveiled.

Avweb reviewed it here

I looks like a great headset, but if you already have an A20, there doesn’t seem to be much reason to upgrade if you fly GA.

The 3 modes of ANR isn’t really relevant for GA. It’s mainly aimed at those flying pressurised jets.

Bose don’t appear to be claiming any improvement in noise reduction and most commentators seems to say that they don’t notice any difference.

Bose claim a reduction in clamping force, but Paul B from Avweb suggested it seemed to be stronger clamping to him (which he put down to his A20 being used and the spring perhaps being a bit worn).

The main improvement claimed from a GA perspective is that it’s lighter and “more comfortable”. But I’ve not seen any claim yet for how much lighter (which I’m presuming means that it’s not a noticeable difference) , and more comfortable which will be a personal thing.

So look like a decent choice if you’re in the market for a new headset (which I am .. need a third one now that I’m bringing my daughter flying) but if you already have an A20, there seems to be little point in upgrading. That’s my impression from watching 3 video reviews and a bit of reading. It will be interesting to see what other’s impression is.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

But I’ve not seen any claim yet for how much lighter

The A20 was 12 ounces (340g) on-head weight.
The A30 is announced at 14.2 ounces (404g) on-head weight.
So it’s actually heavier, but the video (which is informational, I recommend to watch it) claims a better distribution of weight.

Instructors or other people flying both left and right seat might find it useful to be able to change the mike and cable’s side without tools.

ESMK, Sweden

Flyer weighed an A20 and A30 on a video here.

Minus the wire, they weigh the same.

I would like to use my A20s for passengers, so I have ordered an A30 for myself and then can use the A20 for others/spare.

I’ll post my findings when they show up

United Kingdom

Not going to Aero myself I’d be very interested in a verdict of all of you.

What happened with your plan?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Personally I’d apply the two cardinal rules:

- never fly anything with paint on the rudder pedals
- never fly Mk 1 of anything

I fell for the fancy new Lightspeed (PFX?) a while back. It was a disaster. It ate batteries, the battery box was the size of a small house, and there were problems with the ANR too. I ended up selling it on Ebay and buying an A20, as did a friend of mine who also fell for it. It didn’t stay on the market for long.

Maybe the A30 is better. But maybe it isn’t.

Last Edited by johnh at 28 Mar 16:42
LFMD, France
Sign in to add your message