Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Welcome to our forums

Certified, Homebuilt or Ultralight? (merged)

But the URL contains a link to the “official” document. However you are right concerning the death and so


Of course it is the ECAC recommendation, and with a link to the compiled “known” implementation status. It’s on the ECAC web site. What I’m saying is to look in the AIP. The AIP will tell you about what is needed for flying on another country’s airspace. This is no different than any other stuff. You can use the compiled list (on ECAC site) regardless.

The elephant is the circulation

In principal you can go to the country’s AIP section GEN 1.2 and find the requirements for aircraft without a standard CofA.

In practice, some countries are very helpful in providing the information, others make no mention of the requirements or direct you to other ‘official’ documents, or make you search AICs etc.

The UK buries the requirements in CAP747, which adds to the challenge of a foreigner trying to do things right.

I’ve also come across official documents directing your enquiries to the email of a named employee. That may be the right person, or they may have left and their account closed, or it’s the wrong person and they ignore your email.

With Spain, I’ve applied months in advance and not received a reply until 2 days before departure. Not great for planning purposes.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

I was astonished to read here that ultralights cannot enter CAS in Spain. Given the amount of CAS in Spain…

Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Here’s more astonishment, then: in Belgium, they can’t either. And I have a feeling controlled airspace is a bigger percentage of total airspace over Belgium than over Spain.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Aren’t there several limitations for Microlights (airspace wise) in Italy as well?


I seem to remember – with no strong information at hand – that as a Basico one must indeed stay out of controlled airspace. As an Avanzato – that is, carrying radio AND transponder AND ELT) one has more or less the same privileges as an SEP. Just like the 500’ AGL (1000 in the weekend) limitation applies only to a Basico. Such a pity there’s no active posters left from Italy. Perhaps @Boscomantico can confirm, or correct?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

We have lots of Italian pilots here – 600/month read EuroGA. Apart from Bosco, the other poster was @AfricanEagle . Plus many more who travel there a lot from Germany and Switzerland.

Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I was astonished to read here that ultralights cannot enter CAS in Spain. Given the amount of CAS in Spain…

Let me add some further info about that:
- It’s really not that difficult to avoid controlled airspace in Spain, with the exception of a few areas. I would say only two: LEVD CTR and LEBZ CTR, which are really big and obviously get down to ground level
- This restriction is coming from an outdated regulation from 1986, when ULM were Quicksilver, Pterodactyl, and the likes. With no radio, maybe 80 km/h max speed, almost no range, etc
- Due to that, civil aviation authority is not interested at all in enforcing this norm nowadays. So, in fact, a lot of ULM do currently enter controlled airspace
- And therefore, as I put in the other thread, there is already a draft of an updated norm that will make this restriction obsolete.

LECU - Madrid, Spain

That’s good news, coolhand. The more restrictions fall for the uncertified the better. In most cases these restrictions don’t make any sense these days (any longer).

Sign in to add your message

Back to Top