Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

But the route provided was not direct? with switchback IFR waypoints?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

But the route provided was not direct? with switchback IFR waypoints?

I mean direct between waypoints, not following an ATS route – DCT in the flight plan.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I believe FF then uses your selected preferred altitude. Ideally these apps should suggest routes that can be filed and flown, or kick back saying no valid route found.

I remember when you filed using the IFR charts with IFPS changes accepted (using fax no less).

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

I mentioned that it would be really nice if you could see the device temperature in the FF app, or anywhere for that matter.

ForeFlight does not display the device temperature, but does get an iOS warning and displays an alert to the pilot. This is from the Pilot Guide:

KUZA, United States

ForeFlight does not display the device temperature, but does get an iOS warning and displays an alert to the pilot.

I know, last summer in 104 F heat (40 C) I saw that warning a couple of times. I’m not sure however how to operate my new fan cooled mount in those conditions, based on that warning alone and taking into account the cautionary statement. In my experience it didn’t take long between that warning and shutdown, when taxiing for takeoff under a bubble canopy. It would be better to have a temperature on the screen continuously, allowing one to turn on the fans at some yellow line temperature well before FF operation is affected.

Even better would be an industrially hardened IPad Mini but that’s a dream.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 27 Mar 14:35

The poor resistance to sunlight makes modern tablets useless IMHO unless mounted in a fan cooled holder (which then needs aircraft power, as well as the tablet of course).

It is probably done for battery protection, more than for CPU protection.

Not a FF issue though, and (presumably) unless you can jailbreak the Ipad, you cannot do anything automatically with the warning. But a jailbroken Ipad is useless because most or all higher value apps check for jailbroken status.

Well, FF could use bluetooth to control the fan speed

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It is a FF issue in as much as they have chosen to limit the App to IOS, which presumably doesn’t displease Apple. Obviously it would be close to miraculous if some accommodation could be made to provide temperature data (or just a color coded readout) for more critical applications. I won’t hold my breath

My experience flying under a bubble canopy with a canopy vent directed at a series of three iPad Minis is that they have all overheated if they are exposed to bright sunlight on the ground when temperatures are over 100F or 38 C, and when there is little or no flow through the canopy vent. It’s mainly a problem for me when taxiing out, before take off. That’s why I just bought a fan cooled base, I’m planning more desert flying, but otherwise I’ve had no issues over a number of years and use Foreflight as my primary navigation tool, on charge full time in the aircraft. FF on a tablet has been far from useless for me, it is primary with pilotage as backup.

As discussed many times the way to mitigate iPad reliability issues is to carry another device or two (e.g. phone) running the same flight. All devices can as a basic FF design feature run the same flight simultaneously and in my case they all get GPS and ADS-B IN from a Stratus 2S, likewise on full time charge, with internal GPS in the phones and battery backup in all three or four devices as additional backup. Sunlight on the ground on hot days is the real issue but the X-Naut fan cooled base also has battery backup, as well as ship’s power in my plane.

PS I don’t use Bluetooth in a plane, only Wi-Fi and that’s in use for the Stratus 2S. However there is space in the X-Naut mount for a thermocouple to be spring loaded onto the case and used for on/off control of the fans. I don’t know if that would provide a good enough signal for battery temperature control when used conservatively, or not.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 27 Mar 16:54

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to stop by to leave the release notes for the latest release that went has just gone live which has features requested by pilots flying in Europe. I know there are more requests, including around NOTAMs, and we’ve got them on our list! Stay tuned for more soon.

ForeFlight 15.3 (March 2023)

Enhanced VFR Map Data

• The VFR data built into ForeFlight’s Aeronautical Map layer has been enhanced to make it more interactive and useful for flight planning and inflight use.
  • Visual Reporting Points are now responsive to the touch. Simply tap to view additional information or to add them to a flight plan.
  • Additionally, these points now display names along with the nearest airport. That airport code will show in the FPL view next to the Visual Reporting Point’s name.
  • These points are also visible on your route in the Navlog View, Profile View, and 3D View.
  • In the Flights view, you will see shortcodes for these points on your route, combining the ICAO code for the associated airport and the point’s name.
  • Briefings will display the expanded name and shortcode.
  • ForeFlight will automatically convert Visual Reporting Points to coordinates on the ICAO flight form.

VFR Aeronautical Details Toggle

• Easily declutter the Aeronautical Map by hiding VFR data with a new toggle in Map Settings.
  • This toggle will disable Visual Reporting Points, HIRTA, Low Points, Bird refuge areas, Model Flights, VFR Routes, VFR & IFR flight corridors, Entry and exits into airports, traffic circuits, no overfly, and nature areas.
  • Access the new toggle in Map Settings > VFR Aeronautical Details while the Aeronautical Map layer is enabled.

Airports Without Codes

• Plan and file flights to and from small airfields that lack an official ICAO or IATA code designation, just as you would with larger airports.
  • Supported airport types without code designations include airfields, heliports, glider ports, hang glider ports, and ultralight fields.
  • Tap these airports to view additional details and add them to your flight plan, and search for them by name using the Search bar.
  • When you file a flight plan with one of these airports, ForeFlight will automatically file the departure or destination as ZZZ in Section 16 of the ICAO flight plan and add the latitude and longitude under Section 18.

Ownship Colors

• Improve the visibility of your ownship marker or just fly a bird of a different color with Ownship Colors.
  • In addition to the default blue color, options for red, pink, orange, yellow, green, and dark gray are also available.
  • Set both the color and shape of your ownship in More > Settings > Ownship Marker.

To get this update, make sure you check for updates in the App Store as it can take up to 7 days to automatically download. As always, you can find out more by going to our website – https://foreflight.com/releases/15-3/.

Have a good evening,
Josh

ForeFlight - Head of International Gr...
KGTU, United States

Hoping that Josh is listening, I’d like to relate that the limitation to two iPads is a big issue on long flights in the 172. I’ve done several 10 Hr days cross country in the 172 with a couple of 1Hr refuelling stops (no charging socket) and had to eke out the remaining battery by shutting down en route in order to have FF for eventual arrival. I do have portable power packs etc. but it’s all a bit Heath Robinson. One reason why I still invest in a full set of paper sectionals! What I’d like is the ability to carry a third FF iPad (not a phone) in case it all goes south.

Incidentally I carry 4 iPads – 2 to use, one within reach on the back seat in case something goes wrong, and a spare in the luggage in case I leave one of the first 3 on the fuselage, only to have it slide off onto the the tarmac. Yes, that’s happened!

Regarding overheating, I agree that it can happen, but a few minutes in the passenger footwell deals with that. Another reason to fly solo!

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

There’s a trick to the two iPads issue. Install FF on all four and sign out of one and in on the other. I only discovered that recently as for some bizarre reason FF goes from three devices to two if you’re on a company account.

Sign in to add your message