Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

I just tried it at home and it worked, showed me a NOTAM for a MOA (Lemoore, as it were) above a fictitious route planned for Tuesday. That said, could that be yet another UK-only/mainly issue? It’s largely a non-issue here, other than the TFRs.

No, that’s pan-European.

Had notammed airspaces in lots of countries, and knowing and seeing and “feeling” them in advance is just great.

It may be more VFR related, because IFR you can ignore airspaces (at least in Central Europe).

Last Edited by UdoR at 26 Mar 18:23
Germany

172driver wrote:

I don’t really understand the issue, unless the European version of FF is very different from the US one, which I’ve used for years.

I think that has to do with how NOTAMS are used in Europe. Here a lot of Restricted Areas are activated by NOTAMS. It’s not about a single TFR but about turning airspace restrictions on and off.

Let me give you an example. In the two screenshots below you see a part of the french airspace with the status of next Tuesday at 10:00 Z.

The green arrows highlight Restricted Areas that are inactive. The red ones show active ones – all triggered by some NOTAM (I did not highlight all of them). Do you see the difference to the example you gave?

EDNG, EDST, EDMT, Germany

Had notammed airspaces in lots of countries, and knowing and seeing and “feeling” them in advance is just great.

That’s probably part of the issue with FF adding this feature – other than MOAs being activated (I generally avoid them reagardless) I’ve never run into meaningfully NOTAMed airspace, as opposed to airports.

I think that has to do with how NOTAMS are used in Europe. Here a lot of Restricted Areas are activated by NOTAMS.

Exactly.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Mar 19:14

because IFR you can ignore airspaces (at least in Central Europe).

That’s true if you are flying in the Eurocontrol IFR system i.e. with an ATC radar service, and usually this means in CAS.

If you are flying IFR OCAS then it is de facto a VFR flight and you have to take care of yourself. Probably not true for Sweden but it is generally true everywhere where IFR OCAS is allowed.

Then you need a very good satnav application depicting everything affecting the route. And you need to see this when planning a flight at home, hours or even days before.

That’s probably part of the issue with FF adding this feature – other than MOAs being activated (I generally avoid them reagardless) I’ve never run into meaningfully NOTAMed airspace, as opposed to airports.

I have not flown substantially in the US, and never solo (just did the IR there) and AFAIK the FF executable is the same for everyone. So it may be that in the US you get a better ATC radar service. In Europe you simply can’t rely on that. Many years ago I busted a French nuclear power station prohibited area (long story; posted before) and ATC didn’t warn me of that but they did ask for the name of the pilot!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, the charted airspace simply doesn’t get turned and off much in the US, you don’t need a radar service outside of Class B or C and are generally OK when VFR without any en route radio contact – you just fly the chart.

TFRs are displayed prominently in FF when you turn them on (I have that setting full time) – but they are pop ups not shown on any chart.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Mar 20:21

In addition to what @Silvaire says, if you are on Flight Following, ATC will proactively warn you of ‘hot’ MOAs and R airspace. There’s a lot of that around SoCal and in reality never an issue. If in doubt just call up ATC.

Btw, there are quite a few military areas that are switched between hot and cold by NOTAMs, but see above.

Changing the subject, I had an interesting FF related discussion with a friend who came over last night. He happens to work as an Apple software development manager. I mentioned that it would be really nice if you could see the device temperature in the FF app, or anywhere for that matter. It turns out that info is available to the internal Apple developer iOS version he uses, and after I described my recent purchase of a fan cooled base, and why I bought it for use on the ground in the desert, he seemed to get it. He mentioned something about being about to put this into a forum for evaluation and asked me to tell him the specific app.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Mar 21:08

Have also posted on the autorouter thread. FF seems to be coming up with valid routes following the recent airways reorganisation in the UK, although some odd/unworkable routes produced, for what perhaps are unlikely city pairs in FF, but used for IR test/revalidation purposes.

An example of FF coming up with non workable solutions is EGTK to EGBJ.

The recommended route is 2,000 feet to CONKO then eastbound to ASHUM at A30 then direct EGBJ.

This is below MSA and through Brize CAS and South Cerney Parachute zone. While flying through Class D it doesn’t get you to Class A which is required on an IRT.

EGTK to EGFF produced a workable solution via CONKO FL080 and ICTAM 1C.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

This is below MSA

I don’t think AR (and thus FF) cares about MSA at all. It does care about MEAs for ATS routes, but on a direct there is no MEA.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 27 Mar 05:49
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message