Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Good to hear but I will wait to renew until this NOTAM problem is fixed. I think it’s a big oversight to have NOTAMs not displayed during the planning stage and makes visual NOTAMs virtually useless.

I agree. It’s an incredibly bad feature.

Went for a little local flight just now. Saw nothing until, basically, in the air. I suppose you could turn on the Ipad in the car and pick up notams when driving to the airport. Unbelievable how such an important feature can be so badly implemented. Especially here in the UK where your license hangs by a thin thread. 2 or 3 mistakes within a couple of years and you are finished.

How can this possibly work in the US? Their ATC, like ATC everywhere else in Europe, can’t be as aggressive in busting pilots as in the UK, but if you keep busting presidential TFRs, you will be in trouble, surely?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t really understand the issue, unless the European version of FF is very different from the US one, which I’ve used for years.

Here, TFRs are display graphically on the map page w a color coding: yellow for future, red for active. Tap, and a text window opens w the full description. For most GA flights here TFRs are the only NOTAMs to worry about, other than rwy closures or Navaids being u/s. In any case these and all other NOTAMs come up in the relevant pages (airport, approach plates) and they and everything else is featured in the preflight section of the ‘Flights’ menu.
So – what is missing?

I don’t really understand the issue,

Me neither. The first thing I do if I’m pondering going somewhere is tap on the airport on my phone and check NOTAMs in Foreflight. For example if you tap on Henderson Airport (KHND) today you’ll find they are operating some kind of weird PPR routine over the weekend that would make me go elsewhere.

@Cttime

There’s a 33 percent discount on renewals for SAFE and NAFI members.

London, United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

Me neither. The first thing I do if I’m pondering going somewhere is tap on the airport on my phone and check NOTAMs in Foreflight. For example if you tap on Henderson Airport (KHND) today you’ll find they are operating some kind of weird PPR routine over the weekend that would make me go elsewhere.

I think what they mean is that SkyDemon plots all NOTAMs graphically on the charts.
It does it only if the NOTAMs are active at the time of your planned flight.
And, apparently (allegedly?), FF doesn’t do it in advance.

EGTR

Today, ForeFlight shows the most severe NOTAMs 2 hours in advance. We do have plans to investigate extending planning with NOTAMs in different ways.

If there are NOTAMs, that are missing, please let me know or email examples in to [email protected]. Biggest thing we’ll need is the NOTAM ID and the FIR to be able to look into this with the team.

FF Director of Product - International
KGTU, United States

Nearly all airspace notams are “most severe”.

Administrator

Does anyone know if there is a way to filter NOTAMs? In particular, it would be very useful to filter out any airspace NOTAMs with a lower limit above my max altitude. There is currently a long-term NOTAM in Austria that covers the whole country for an active MOA starting at FL395…..turns the whole country red on the map and is completely irrelevant to piston pilots.

LSZK, Switzerland

In the profile view of the Flight Plan tab you see a graphical presentation of airspace and airspace NOTAMs. This shows airspace both below and above your route. Again, this is in the US version.

To add: it also gives you an in-flight pop-up warning on the map screen when approaching airspace.

Last Edited by 172driver at 26 Mar 16:37

It does work in flight. The reported issue is that this stuff is not displayed until 2hrs before the planned flight time.

Within the UK I have rarely entered a route or any plan; I just turn it on and make sure I am not going near controlled airspace or other “prohibited” areas and for this it seems to work well. But you can’t turn it on at home and see anything other than airspace.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message