Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Snoopy wrote:

I can find something for LJMB LIMW and LOWG LIMW immediately, but nothing for LDVA, even when trying certain waypoints, weird.

You can find some routes from LDZA as well and then just extend them VFR to LDVA but that’s not the point. As I wrote previously, I can do it manually from origination to destination but that’s not what I expect from routing tool.

Here’s another example. While for LDZA-EKPP the route is easily found, LDVA-EKPP is a mystery for FF.

LDZA-EKPP

LDVA-EKPP according to FF

And the error is

However routing is trivial if you do it manually

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

This is one of my favourites with pirouette

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

You can find some routes from LDZA

I didn’t find any :(

always learning
LO__, Austria

As a Jeppesen subscriber I was given a free trial of FF.

What I find hard to understand is that it is divided into seemingly separate sections. E.g. there is the chart section and the flight section. Routes have to be manually transferred between the two. Then in the flight section, you can do a mass computation (but not balance), then there is a separate W&B section and again mass is not automatically transferred. The W&B section even has a separate aircraft model from the flight section.

I found all of this very cumbersome. I guess there is some workflow that I don’t understand that makes it convenient. Any FF user that can explain how you’re supposed to do it?

Compare with SkyDemon (or even Autorouter) where all data is in the same place.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 06 Jan 08:26
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Routes have to be manually transferred between the two.

No. You can send it to map via sharing button.

Airborne_Again wrote:

Then in the flight section, you can do a mass computation (but not balance), then there is a separate W&B section and again mass is not automatically transferred. The W&B section even has a separate aircraft model from the flight section.

I found all of this very cumbersome. I guess there is some workflow that I don’t understand that makes it convenient. Any FF user that can explain how you’re supposed to do it?

I’ve written many times to FF team about that (and other useful features that could be implemented) but except “nice idea, we’ll consider implementing it” I haven’t got anything useful.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Snoopy wrote:

The no android feature isn’t a fail it’s a win from what I hear (software/security).

That is not correct! They are in the same ballpark, but the thing is if most of the devices in the world are Android, why not have both? I have a half a dozen Android devices, and some of the pilots I know have got 2 Apple devices for precisely that reason – to run some aviation app!

Snoopy wrote:

I did manage to fly in the UK (incl. EGKR) using only FF without any infringement.

Well, that’s the thing – you were lucky! :)
Most of VFR flyers will have a SkyDemon, so would I really pay extra $$$ per year to get an FF as well as buying some extra devices? Not sure.

EGTR

Most of the GA business, especially in the US, is “wealthy” people and wealthy people buy mostly Apple stuff. And developing for just one platform is a lot less work.

Another no-android aspect is an anti-bootleg policy, because rooting (jailbreaking) IOS devices is a lot more hassle than rooting android devices. That’s prob99 why Garmin don’t offer Jepp charts on the android version of GP (various threads on that one). Unlike Jepp which has 10-20k corporate customers who will always pay the full price, FF relies on its retail software sales and would be much more vulnerable to bootlegging.

Presenting non-validated routes is just weird… I could never sell a product which just says “You’ve paid the money but I can’t do this”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Emir wrote:

No. You can send it to map via sharing button.

Yes, that’s what I mean by “manually”. Sorry for not being clear.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Yes, that’s what I mean by “manually”.

I don’t find this to be bad feature (because you have map view within flight itself, so by transferring you make a kind of flight plan activation) but all the reset you listed above is really cumbersome. Making W&B, based on flight plan data (POB & fuel) and aircraft data, and putting it info briefing should be trivial yet FF requires this to be done separately.

BTW the weather briefing included in flight briefing is also useless if you check it few days before the flight. Instead of presenting nothing if forecast is not available (which is correct) the briefing shows forecast that is closest to your flight time (which can be few days before actual flight). E.g. AR doesn’t show anything if it can’t show something useful and that’s definitely correct approach.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

I use it and unfortunately FF is still far away from being able to produce optimal route in any sense. I can beat it manually on any day any route in Europe. And of course AR beats it as well. I reported several routing bugs, got promises on fixing but nothing happened.

Like many here on the Forum who fly IFR I have also ’’adopted’’ FF since the news on the sunsetting of JeppFD came out. (thought I’d get ahead of the curve). While there are some very nice features in FF which I definitely like, the routing is not ideal and I have continued to pay for RocketRoute as well (that works well for me for routing and if I have a problem they have 24/7 service which literally are the bomb…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France
Sign in to add your message