Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Does it do a “lateral projection” so if you are descending to below CAS ahead, you can see whether you will get under it in time?

Iirc skydemon does that, that’s cool. Foreflight should really implement that.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I meant FF against SD, not against GP which has few users.

The profile view (which is only basic geometry after all) is pretty handy for the UK, with the CAA “no prisoners” policy – one is constantly dodging bits of airspace in 3D. Well, unless one plans the route in a simple way and sticks to the route, preferably on autopilot. Or turns off the transponder, which many do.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

Slow adoption? Everyone left and right doing serious flying has switched to Foreflight years ago.

Same over here

Snoopy wrote:

There are some Garmin Pilot outliers (mostly for proprietary features in combination with Garmin avionics)

Exactly. This is – at least for now – an issue with the latest iteration of the various navigators, where I suspect Garmin purposely inhibits them talking to FF. Sort of a last-ditch attempt to save (or revive) Garmin Pilot. Only a matter of time before this charade ends – the market simply has spoken for FF.

Snoopy wrote:

I think FF is the best deal in aviation. 300 bucks is like, what, one hour of flying? And you can do more than an entire office of airline dispatchers, within seconds, at your fingertips.

No, sorry, disagree – SD + Autorouter would be better for a pilot in the UK. Or anyone with no Apple devices – SD supports both (GP does as well), while FF are unable to present anything on Android. FAIL.

EGTR

Interesting… did a few dozen 500-1000 NM flights recently and never had a problem (max overhead was around 8%).

Try LDVA-LIMW or LDVA-LIME or LDVA-LFMU or even LDSP-LOWI or LDVA-LOWI. For some there will be no route at all, some will return Eurocontrol invalid routes and some will return ridiculous ones. I can list dozens of examples showing failures in their routing algorithm and I reported them to FF team but haven’t seen much (or any) improvement.

It seems they don’t understand routing through Slovenia, they have never implemented fly over certain points, DCT routing, level changes etc.

I like FF, I use it but some important things have to be fixed. I don’t need game application in cockpit with million useless features available only when in 4G reach (which I’m practically never when flying) but useful tool complementary to onboard avionics.

One of the many examples:

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

No, sorry, disagree – SD + Autorouter would be better for a pilot in the UK. Or anyone with no Apple devices – SD supports both (GP does as well), while FF are unable to present anything on Android. FAIL.

Someone flying IFR going to places via the flightlevels will enjoy FF.
I did manage to fly in the UK (incl. EGKR) using only FF without any infringement.
The no android feature isn’t a fail it’s a win from what I hear (software/security).

Anyway, the market offers a few solutions and everyone can pick a choice. FF is the best solution according to the market, by far.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Try LDVA-LIMW or LDVA-LIME or LDVA-LFMU or even LDSP-LOWI or LDVA-LOWI. For some there will be no route at all, some will return Eurocontrol invalid routes and some will return ridiculous ones. I can list dozens of examples showing failures in their routing algorithm and I reported them to FF team but haven’t seen much (or any) improvement. It seems they don’t understand routing through Slovenia, they have never implemented fly over certain points, DCT routing, level changes etc.

I can find something for LJMB LIMW and LOWG LIMW immediately, but nothing for LDVA, even when trying certain waypoints, weird.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I have to agree with Emir, although not flying that much. I could compare RR that uses autoroutier and FF on some citation flight based from LFMD and these are sometimes very strange and longer. I had once to retrofit AR route on FF to have it validated, although I”m trying the PP+ package this year.
I am globally satisfied with it, for all the feature, performance and weather for preparation being really nice but for sure there are still issues with IFR routing.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 06 Jan 07:59
LFMD, France

A bit off topic I suppose but wouldn’t it be nice if these routing and FPL systems came back and told you why a route is Eurocontrol invalid. Sometimes a slight alteration to one small section of a route can make it valid but if you don’t know what is making it invalid you have to keep trying different routes until you get one that does validate and you might still not know where the problem was.

France

RR does not use AR.

GP uses AR. I don’t know if AR has any other licensees.

FF bought a company called Aviation Cloud, in The Netherlands I think, to get autorouting. I don’t know if there is any activity there now.

RR uses code developed originally by Mike Flynn (there is someone of same name posting on some UK sites; not the same one) who was doing a free routing tool called FPP (Flight Plan Pro) which came shortly after Autoplan which was another free tool developed by someone here. All these were done in 2008. I was a beta tester for all

France is generally easier for autorouting than most of Europe. I used to get valid routes out of FPP for years after it stopped updating the database

The obvious concern is this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message