Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Finding out foreign airport costs

10 Posts

What are the best procedures for this?

I've never found a good way.

Nowadays doing a google for the airport website is always a start but they often contain no information; just stuff for scheduled passengers. I find many contact details are duff.

The next option is to phone the handling agent(s) and they will be very responsive, but you probably don't want to do handling unless it is mandatory.

And some handlers will claim it's mandatory when it isn't.

The next step might be the local aeroclub, but I find they tend to hang up the phone when they hear an English speaking person

Once I found a website which tried to carry airport data like that but it was way out of date.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I usually use one of the airport databases with reviews. There is a very good one in Germany on EDDH.de. It's Germany only but you can use one of the translation services.

For Shoreham it says that on March 29 AVGAS costed 2.05 GBP and that it's a great GA airfield with good service and friendly people

Very funny comments Quite accurate too.

Typical English Cafe (slightly greasy, but tasty!)

It has improved under new management recently... the cakes are MASSIVE and your hand no longer sticks to the table

Administrator

Depends on the country. Ireland or the UK, where everyone speaks English I tend to ring.

Elsewhere I tend to send a fax. (I find fax gets a better response than email.) If the fax fails, I'll send an email (sometimes try a second fax).

Answers usually come, but if they dont' arrive within the first hour then it will probably take the guts of a week for an answer.

I find 50% of the answers come back by fax, and the others by email.

If you need it in a hurry I don't suppose you've any option but to call. The trouble with calling is that you've no evidence.

I remember calling Kerry airport years ago and being told that the landing fee was €15. After landing and going to pay my bill, I was invoice a lot more.

On querying it I was told that that landing fee was indeed €15, but because I had stayed more than two hours I had a parking of €10 (probably should have asked about that in fairness), because I had a passenger that was another €6 and I had to pay the airport development fee of €10.

Now I finish any email/fax with the question "Is there any other charges that I will have to pay apart from those that I've enquired about above?"

Colm

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Croatia, Bosnia and Serbia price lists are available at airport's web site and are accurate.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I liked the translation:

From the parking lot you can walk alone to the small terminal, but please always wear good vest (also nonsense, but so are the British).

EGTK Oxford

That comment is from a frequent poster on EuroGA

It means that wearing a yellow vest on the apron should be considered like having tea at 4pm. Part of the local culture, hard to understand for us foreigners so when in Rome, do as the Romans do...

Croatia, Bosnia and Serbia price lists are available at airport's web site and are accurate.

Yeah... Croatia for sure seems to have discovered the secret of what modern people call "the internet": you put something on a website and hey ho people can read it!

They manage to achieve this while most of northern European airports are still struggling with the lower echelons of technology, like runway lights.

It has the useful side effects of creating new business (but hey no airport needs business does it) and also stops foreigners phoning you up and shouting at you in some language you can't understand (John Cleese used to do that very well) but which sounds like they want to FLY to your airport.

I do like flying to Croatia. Very nice people and stuff just seems to work... even the ferry boat timetables are aligned with their bus timetables. Must be the very rigorous old communist education.

And I cannot understand why every airport doesn't just put up a website with all the current pilot information. They must be totally clue-less about the most basic aspects of business.

Administrator

Good day to all.I'm another old dog from Greece.That's my first listing here,allthough I've been reading you from the first week. A quick and ever expanding way to increase your knowledge about visited airports is the following:

Many European colleagues use that and expand it.I'm a top reporter too on that.It also reports about specific vices for each airport,if existing./

That comment is from a frequent poster on EuroGA

I got the meaning. Just meant I liked it.

British airports are unique. In the overhead look like lots of bright yellow ants moving about.

EGTK Oxford
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message