Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why is aviation so full of persnickety characters?

Neil wrote:

Not sure I can think of any actual regulations that prevent sensible people from hurting themselves. Bear in mind that the real cowboys ignore the rules anyway!

But that may be because sensible people get some of their information from the regulations and the discussions around them? Let’s assume there was only one rule: “Accidents are forbidden”, and no cowboy pilots. Would we have the same, a better, or a worse outcome?

The cowboys I know, the ones who ride horses and operate well with limited resources, would be far less likely than the average person to have any kind of accident. And they are scrupulously polite. Europeans don’t know much about cowboys, but not to worry… Cowboys neither know nor care about the effete European’s misuse of their trade as an misguided and incorrect metaphor for shoddy behavior

Rules are for the guidance of wise men when they are written simply and unambiguously. When they become a guide to life, written in tedious over complex language in an invariably failed attempt to cover every conceivable situation, they become a problem, not a solution.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 16 Dec 16:20

Notice as soon as the guy opened the thread he got 20 pontificators and quasi theorists matching his exact assertions. Aviation is filled with bully’s, egotists, neurotic rule mavens, prima donnas, angry pilots who lost their medicals, and a few guys/gals that just fly for transportation, work and fun.

Last Edited by USFlyer at 16 Dec 16:28

Silvaire wrote:

The cowboys I know, the ones who ride horses and operate well with limited resources, would be far less likely than the average person to have any kind of accident. And they are scrupulously polite. Europeans don’t know much about cowboys, but not to worry… Cowboys neither know nor care about the effete European’s misuse of their trade as an misguided and incorrect metaphor for shoddy behavior

Rules are for the guidance of wise men when they are written simply and unambiguously. When they become a guide to life, written in tedious over complex language in an invariably failed attempt to cover every conceivable situation, they become a problem, not a solution.

Amen to that, Silvaire !

PS: anyone here ever witnessed real cowboy pilots? By which I mean mustering pilots using mainly helos but sometimes fixed wing. Wish I could fly like these guys….

Notice as soon as the guy opened the thread he got 20 pontificators and quasi theorists matching his exact assertions. Aviation is filled with bully’s, egotists, neurotic rule mavens, prima donnas, angry pilots who lost their medicals, and a few guys/gals that just fly for transportation, work and fun.

So, where would you position yourself, USflyer?

So far you have not exactly distinguished yourself with superior knowledge.

You can take your offensive attitude somewhere else.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Wouldn’t a cowboy pilot, by that definition, was one that flew a Mustang?

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Peter wrote:

You can take your offensive attitude somewhere else.

So I take it you don’t agree with my unvarnished observations? Did I accuse anyone here by name of those things?

My statements are truthful…I attack no one. If you want me off, no problem…I’ll go…

Last Edited by USFlyer at 16 Dec 17:17

USFlyer wrote:

Aviation is filled with bully’s, egotists, neurotic rule mavens, prima donnas, angry pilots who lost their medicals, and a few guys/gals that just fly for transportation, work and fun.

I think in this phrase you can replace “aviation” with anything from “information technology” via “astrophysics” and “neuroscience” to “performing arts”. Just anything.

EDDS - Stuttgart

USFlyer wrote:

Notice as soon as the guy opened the thread he got 20 pontificators and quasi theorists matching his exact assertions.

He did not! Maybe one or two comments could be taken that way. The rest of the comments either agreed with him or attempted a discussion. Like most discussions on EuroGA I found this one respectful and balanced.

My statements are truthful

To be frank, you have made lots of untrue statements the past few weeks while keeping to an air of authority. Your claim about the “20 pontificators” is yet another one. I would appreciate if you were more careful with your claims.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Well said Peter.

The last couple of weeks on here has been “interesting”, we have had an expert opinion on firmware bugs, a DA40 with two engines, and now an assertion that aviation is fully of bullies. This is more like what you would expect on some of the comedy aviation forums.

I know you have been encouraging more people to post and not just read, but be careful what you wish for :)

Sign in to add your message