Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Map legibility - vector (tablet products) versus raster (printed charts)

VFR i only fly with SD on my ipad mini, and i’m glad i left the raster maps behind. I see no reason why a VFR flight with SD should be a problem. You set the zoom to the right level and you have all details you need … I do have a paper VFR chart as a backup and my other iPad in the backpack …

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 22 Aug 18:56

Michal wrote:

And if I want to go VFR using visual navigation only? I do not think you can do it seriosly with Skydemon

I agree!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Flyer59 wrote:

You set the zoom to the right level and you have all details you need

yes, but you also have your position on the map so I would not call it visual navigation. But, on the other hand you get where you need to be ;-)

LKKU, LKTB

It will be really interesting to see how ForeFlight 8 will deal with this issue. So far, they are using the rastered VFR charts which every FAA pilot has grown up with. If I understand their blog and our very own @NCYankee right, you will be able to switch between raster and vector maps. FF8 should be out within weeks now.

@Michal

I have the feeling that I don’t understand your point :-)

If you want real visual navigation, you simply switch of the tablet/iPad ;-)

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 22 Aug 19:10

172driver wrote:

If I understand their blog and our very own @NCYankee right, you will be able to switch between raster and vector maps.

You can already do that with many systems here in Europe.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

ou can already do that with many systems here in Europe.

Such as?

EasyVFR, AirnavPro & Airbox Foreflight all offer vector charts by default, with the ability to purchase raster charts (and swap between them at will).

I’m sure that there are others too.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

EasyVFR, AirnavPro & Airbox Foreflight all offer vector charts by default, with the ability to purchase raster charts (and swap between them at will).

Interesting. Where do they source their raster charts from? Which format? Are they from the various local XAAs or some unified format? The only VFR raster charts in a unified format that I am aware of (and used when flying in Europe) are the now discontinued Jeppesen ones.

I can only speak for EasyVFR. I know the others do various charts, but not sure of the vendors.

EasyVFR does charts from various national chart makers, DFS and Air-Million.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
Sign in to add your message