Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ditching accidents, life rafts, jackets and equipment, training and related discussion

“ I don’t understand that. If he did fear a fire, enough to ditch a working aircraft, why not prepare for ditching”

With fire you only have 3min to be on the ground/water before you lose everything but yes it should be fine going for an emergency descent then flying level at 500ft with a working aircraft, you you should not stay at 12000ft but you should not go into water

There was a PA28 that ditched in the English Channel after an electrical failure with IMC, the PIC decided to ditch, while I understand the loss of navigation and comms does not work well with going to terrain, I think ditching near the beach is still advisable rather than halfway between Jersey to IoW

Last Edited by Ibra at 07 Dec 23:43
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Does anybody know who services “Revere Aero Compact” 4 person life rafts in the UK?

Preferably the South West but and with a fast turn around time but I suppose it can be shipped each way.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

United Kingdom

South Eastern Marine in Basildon

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

@Archer-181 thread moved to existing.

Yes; SEMS in Basildon is the company of choice in the UK.

From abroad one has the problem of a raft being “hazardous goods” and I have met up with some pilots who dropped theirs off at Shoreham and I sent them off for them.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We have the problem with “hazardous goods” – we swap the life raft while doing our annual in England (and I’m always nervous about it – we typically only spend 4 or 5 days across when doing this so the courier with the raft exchange better show up on time!) SEMS are very good.

Andreas IOM

Does anyone know a distributor/shop to buy a Winslow Life Raft in Europe? Google is not particularly helpfull …

(You can send a PM if openly posting shops here is regarded advertisement)

Germany

I have this and no longer use it. It needs an overhaul.

Last Edited by loco at 23 Nov 06:28
LPFR, Poland

It is fine to post shops’ names etc. It is an issue only if the poster works in the shop and is posting stuff pretending he is a happy customer – we had people doing that with avionics

Here in the UK, I would suggest looking here: One is here but I see they no longer sell Winslow. I bought one of these recently. Another is here but I see they also no longer sell Winslow. Finally contact these and ask if they have any overhauled ones; I use them for overhauls periodically.

Re shipping to Germany – may be problematic due to the compressed air cylinder, and packages from the UK are now being “checked” (sat on for a week, with no checking) by mainland Customs

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

loco wrote:

I have this and no longer use it. It needs an overhaul.

Interested. PN sent.

always learning
LO__, Austria

@Malibuflyer

Try

Olaf Prestin
SOSTECHNIC
Sicherheitsausrüstung GmbH
Eckernförder Str. 163
24116 Kiel / Germany
Tel. +49 431 66728441

always learning