Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ditching accidents, life rafts, jackets and equipment, training and related discussion

Interesting data point here today. Two women 17 and 23 were recovered from the Atlantic coast after 15 hours and are seemingly fine. Water temperature would be about 15 degrees.

EIMH, Ireland

I guess this is the story. Are their photos anywhere?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They probably wore at least wet suits but 15 hours is still a lot at 20°C water temperature.

[link removed, Peter was faster]

Last Edited by Clipperstorch at 13 Aug 13:27
EDQH, Germany

A wetsuit makes a dramatic difference – as I well know from many years of windsurfing and spending more time in the sea than on the board

Also there are different thicknesses. Even a good 4mm one makes a dramatic difference, and many are 6mm.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They weren’t in wetsuits according to media. Yes, that’s the story….no pictures yet.

EIMH, Ireland

Not wearing wetsuits, but not immersed in water. On inflatable paddle boards, blown out to sea, got together and tied to a lobster pot buoy, 17 miles from where they left beach. RTE Online source.
Heavy rain reported.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I think they were very lucky.

Women do better than men when it comes to exposure as they have more intrinsic insulation.

Didn’t see anything about signal flares or lasers.
Perhaps it’s a little cooky, but I carry a bright laser for signaling at night.
Will work in a snowstorm and at night, but is worthless in the day unless one wants to risk the eyesight of the SR pilots (at long range it would be harmless)

Flares seem over the top, and dangerous to haul around to me.

Any thoughts on signaling?

Last Edited by AF at 15 Aug 23:39

AF wrote:

Any thoughts on signaling?

A mirror. On longer c-country trips I also carry a couple of these thin insulating foil blankets – their silver side can also be used for signalling.

zuutroy wrote:

They weren’t in wetsuits according to media

Then again in the summer people swim in the Irish Sea without much of a problem (children in particular seem to be able to stay in almost all day to no ill effect).

We went swimming off Port Erin beach on Saturday. The water actually hurts when you first get in, but is OK after that and you can stay in for quite a long time. Getting out is worse, especially with the cooling breeze we had.

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message