Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Windy.com - an amazing wind and weather visualisation site

Yes exactly that is how you interpret a skew-t, for cloud base, tops and whether the IMC is going to be below 0C.

I think the point made earlier is that you should see exactly the same presentation in a properly generated “gramet” which uses the same data.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

wbardorf wrote:

the sounding diagram does not have the underlying lines for the dry and saturated adiabatic lapse rates
Aren’t these the light gray lines (on windy)?
ESMK, Sweden

In case you have not seen it, there are two new features available:
- a new satellite layer visible and infrared: https://www.windy.com/-Satellite-satellite
- GRAMET style route forecast (based on ECMWF): https://community.windy.com/topic/9013/windy-launches-route-planner

Switzerland

Interesting doc on Swedish TV today. ECMWF has 9km cell base size and 137 vertical layers. The super-computer running the model is an 8 petaflop 130,000 core machine located in Reading, UK. 2025 target to reduce cell base to 5km, but that will require significantly more horsepower (the guy in the telly was talking about x100 power, so something else is growing 25x).

Last Edited by Arne at 11 Nov 22:44
ESMK, Sweden

Half cell size may may need up to 4 times compute power on current infrastructure (they are 2D models) assuming they keep their 4 updates/forecasts a day, they can also reduce the number of updates and use a high resolution hourly timelines? (but you really need to believe in your model to have accurate and timely short-term predictions, these are hard to achieve )

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Does ECMWF release all 137 layers for free to web app programmers?

Reading sounds like the UK Met Office…

Administrator

Windy has a well documented python API to the raw data from all models if you want to process and visualize these yourself but I find ready to ise things like “low clouds” to work well for me (0ft to 6000ft), you can set you own thresholds on code/api say 0ft to FL120 but then you need acess to computer before each flight…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

…or people who started life in the Met Office, got together to form a new company and didn’t want to move their kids’ schools.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

The ECMWF is located in Reading. It has no organisational relation the the UK Met Office.

A quick Internet search reveals that the UK Met Office doesn’t even have an office (sic!) in Reading, but that the University of Reading hosts a group of Met Office scientists.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

They used to be in that area – Bracknell. I went there, many years ago. According to wiki they moved in 2003 so as a % of my age I am only slightly out of date

A move from Brackness to Exeter would have lost them the majority of their smarter employees.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message