Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Health / Food / Blood Pressure (merged)

A bit morbid maybe but one would have to make to make the integral sum. How much ‘savings’ in public cost (NIH, pensions) from obese people dying prematurely?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Peter wrote:

And it will be the same in every country where many people eat too much.

Unfortunately Croatia recently (according to 2021 research) became country with largest percentage of obese people in EU, more that 70% adult men and 60% women are overweighted. Just few years ago (2016) Croatia was at 8th place on the same list with 63% men and 54% women overweighted, while out of them 20% men and women were obese. The most worrisome thing is that more than 10% of children is overweighted.

The estimates are that 25% of Croatian public health budget is spent on obesity related diseases.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

aart wrote:

How much ‘savings’ in public cost (NIH, pensions) from obese people dying prematurely?

Very little. People tend not to die prematurely, but get chronically ill prematurely. Someone who has been sedentary and someone who has been active all their lives may have similar lifespans, but the sedentary person may spend 20 years with chronic illnesses which need constant treatment, where the person who was always active passes after a short illness.

Andreas IOM

Yes that is correct. The NHS here keeps you alive for a long time.

Last week we went on a holiday to Kos in Greece (Easyjet). The destination is really nice but has a fair bit of “heavy boozing” clientele which goes to some hotels around the coast. Zakynthos is quite similar (but worse). It was sad to note that while the average age of the passengers was 20-30, probably 50% of them will be walking with crutches by the time they are 50-60.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

aart wrote:

A bit morbid maybe but one would have to make to make the integral sum. How much ‘savings’ in public cost (NIH, pensions) from obese people dying prematurely?

Ask the WEF, sorry a conspiracy theory. Apologies

If we take the UK the general health situation is atrocious, despite saving the NHS and the vast, vast sums input to keep it going.

Bizarrely the planet is in a population decline and it is causing real concern. Not enough new babies being born, causing a…..

https://www.cigionline.org/events/planet-preparing-global-population-decline/

Apparently Japan is the worst hit, quickly being followed by several G8, sorry G7 countries. We need robotic AI sooner that we thought

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I genuinely believe that genetics plays an enormous role in ones ability to lose weight.

Forever learning
EGTB

BeechBaby wrote:

Bizarrely the planet is in a population decline and it is causing real concern.

The planet certainly is not in population decline! But some parts of the planet is. Japan and China are examples.

We need robotic AI sooner that we thought

Or more immigration.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

The planet certainly is not in population decline!

After about 1800, the growth rate accelerated to a peak of 2.1% annually during the 1962–1968 period, but since then, due to the worldwide collapse of the total fertility rate, it has slowed to 0.9% as of 2023. Dependent which survey you believe it in now in negative decline.

Also that is not an issue for you and I but for the next generations.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

BeechBaby wrote:

it has slowed to 0.9% as of 2023. Dependent which survey you believe it in now in negative decline.

As we are still in the first half of 2023 these statements seem contradictory. But anyway, what surveys claims a global decline?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Very little. People tend not to die prematurely, but get chronically ill prematurely. Someone who has been sedentary and someone who has been active all their lives may have similar lifespans.

Do you have any reference for that? Intuitively it does not make sense to me because what we hear all the time is that eating too much (junk) food and drinking too much which both lead to obesity, and a resulting lack of exercise which aggravates it, results in cardiovascular diseases, cancer and what not, and that must have a perceptional effect on age.

Anecdotal and therefore of limited value, but probably still feeding my intuition is the fact that in my village I see the 100+ as skinny, healthily eating folks and yet have to meet an obese one

Quick Google: Obesity in middle-aged humans is a risk factor for many age-related diseases and decreases life expectancy by about 7 years, which is roughly comparable to the combined effect of all cardiovascular disease and cancer on life span.

Last Edited by aart at 18 May 18:51
Private field, Mallorca, Spain
Sign in to add your message