Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Another entry into the diesel market: Mooney

Can it be fixed in a back yard with a torque wrench, pliers, safety wire and speed tape?

Why didn’t you add this to the old Mooney thread? Would be too funny to revive that epic thread…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

My topic can serve the old Mooney topic AND the “Why don’t diesels take off” topic. Saves some bandwidth. It’s a win-win situation ! :-D

EBST, Belgium

“The M10T will fill the need for a new trainer option for new pilots and flight schools everywhere so pilots can seamlessly move onto Mooney’s M20 series”

Yeah, right, seamless… These poor students are in for a bit of a shock, having to:
1. learn how to start a cold soaked or very hot engine
2. Lean either to ROP or LOP (after having endured endless religious debates..)
3. Monitor EGT’s
4. Monitor CHT’s
5. Monitor TIT
6. mess with cowl flaps
7. making sure you use the right oil, or additives
8. pray the cylinders make it to TBO.

I know, I know, I am becoming a lazy old fart, just shoving these powers levels to any setting between 2% and 100% at any phase of the flight and just enjoy the views

Last Edited by aart at 11 Nov 16:58
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Theat new “M10” … looks like they hired a Playmobil designer for it. Maybe they want to set a new record for going bancrupt again …

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 11 Nov 17:44

9. Endure preaches that it’s ok to live with 1. thru 8. “because that’s how we always done it and the fact that 80% of the fleet is such a dilapidated piece of junk that you can’t even put a new radio/transponder on it is proof we were right son”.

I wonder (PR campaign apart, in the real world) whether the Chinese started the design when they bought Thielert, or after they bought Mooney? Funnily enough the last M10 was a mixture too, an Ercoupe with a Mooney tail. Its interesting to see the Chinese marketing approach, based so heavily on buying and using existing brand names.

It seems to me a little bit more marketable than the Panthera because its something that can be sold to schools – who are the main customers that will pay the price and deal with the complexity of the engine and the relatively low performance that comes with it. For the sole owner a Vans RV will eat the thing for lunch in every market significant performance parameter, at a fraction of the cost.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 11 Nov 18:02

Market significant performance parameter : like time to build, patience and space?

81 Posts
Sign in to add your message