Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ATC asking if you have oxygen

I’ve had this a few times; most recently over France, generally around FL140-180.

What exactly are they going to do if you say NO?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What exactly are they going to do if you say NO?

Vector you around populated areas… I think this question is more a remainder to the pilot that he may be doing something dangerous or forbidden. And also a remainder to check his oxygen supply.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I check my oxygen supply and equipment before I taxi out and on periodical checks during the flight.

I’ve never been asked about my oxygen supply in Belgium. They sometimes ask me to confirm my requested FL, thats it.

United Kingdom

I sometimes get the question from ATC: “Please confirm FL180 is your requested altitude?” in a slightly amazed tone. All is fine if I state we have oxygen on board.

The number of small aircraft flying on the mid FL’s will be really small, especially in flat areas like where I live.

It’s a strange world. You fly a Diamond at FL180 (that is not the strange part) and every single Corvalis/Columbia (the turbo one) I’ve ever seen was flying at FL100.

EBST, Belgium

every single Corvalis/Columbia (the turbo one) I’ve ever seen was flying at FL100

I think you’re unnecessary limiting yourself when flying a Corvalis below FL100.
You’ll get much better performance and weather avoiding options when flying higher.

Yes, but maybe the mission profile sets the altitude.

There was an SR22 based at Shoreham (now at the bottom of the sea) which seemed to spend most of its time flying a girl (not always the same one) to Le Touquet, and similar short runs. In fact its very last flight was to Le Touquet.

I am sure it’s different in the USA but here in Europe I don’t see many of the modern models pushing the envelope much. Of course there are exceptions but most just get used for burger runs – the more classy burger runs however

Administrator

I thought you might have been talking about the UK. I participated in a NATStraining day recently and hypoxia, how to recognise it and what to do if you suspect it was a subject they were doing a lot of training on. This in the context of the two hypoxia related fatal accidents in the States recently.

London area

Called up Salisbury for a danger area crossing service a while back and the reply was ‘do you have oxygen?’

It made me chuckle…

Some of those areas go up to FL500 though

Maybe he was pulling your leg, though I wouldn’t have put it that way (to a pilot) myself…

Administrator
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message