Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Electric / hybrid aircraft propulsion (NOT cars)

Now that is genuinely innovative and useful!

EGLM & EGTN

It will give you a some extra seconds to deal with an engine failure as well as more HP during take off. In a SEP a similar thing will enable extended gliding during engine failure and extra power during take off. A bit more complex in a SEP though, since you would need a clutch and stuff, at least during an engine failure.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Maoraigh wrote:

Dufour reads suspiciously like daydreaming. “For everyone” – there were no road traffic problems until cars became affordable.

always learning
LO__, Austria

“Maoraigh wrote”
Are you sure I wrote that?

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

What about this: electric DA40.

Specifications seem achievable. 90 minutes endurance. 20 minutes turnaround with fast charging. First flight in about 6 months time. Certification expected in 2023.

Or is this also a pipe dream intended to siphon money off ignorant investors?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Or is this also a pipe dream intended to siphon money off ignorant investors?

Considering Pipistrel sell electric trainers (now also with a custom charger trolley thing) like hot cakes, this eDA will also sell like crazy for sure.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

What would it be good for, apart from training?

If you do all your training and test in an electric aircraft are you restricted to flying electric aircraft only? If so what’s involved in removing that restriction?

It would be hard to do the cross country flight in an electric aircraft. So if you need a piston for that that’s going to add some extra training time to everything.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

kwlf wrote:

What would it be good for, apart from training?

I checked all flights (132) made in my club during the last 30 days. 2/3 of them were less than an hour long, meaning that 90 minutes endurance (60 minutes flight time + 30 minutes reserve) would be enough.

So it seems it would be good for quite a lot!

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 16 Oct 08:42

dublinpilot wrote:

It would be hard to do the cross country flight in an electric aircraft. So if you need a piston for that that’s going to add some extra training time to everything.

PPL training already includes cross-country so you would have to also do some piston time during training. On the whole, I don’t think it will add noticeably to training time.

Sign in to add your message