Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ryanair

This is a program (the second part at least, I didn’t see the first one) by a dutch TV, with english subtitles.
I had already heard things about Ryanair flying with fuel absolute legal minima and their crews treated like slaves.
I found the programm chilling nonetheless.

Is this really happening in Europe?

SE France

Is this really happening in Europe?

Yes. And every time you book one of their flights you help them do their thing. But from a pilot’s perspective, they are not the worst in Europe.

And a caveat for Peter: As you might know, the company mentioned here has taken legal action against anonther large aviation forum repeatedly because of criticism against them. So you might want to keep an eye on this thread.

Last Edited by what_next at 08 Mar 13:28
EDDS - Stuttgart

Shortly after that programme was aired I had a discussion with the Chief Pilot of an airline here in Europe which shall remain nameless(but one that operates a modern fleet of jets).

H told me that 9 out of 10 job applicants from Ryanair pilots choose not to take the jobs on offer because they cannot match their Ryanair incomes. They forget of course, the advantages of a salaried position with paid holidays, pension plan and sick leave. It seems however, that once you are actually flying for Ryanair and your line training is behind you, things are not as bad as they are painted.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

It seems however, that once you are actually flying for Ryanair and your line training is behind you, things are not as bad as they are painted.

Especially for ready entry captains, they are quite attractive. Good pay, stable roster, home every evening. As I wrote above: There is far worse than them in Europe. But they paved the way and are ultimately responsible (in my opinion) for degrading the professions of pilot and flight attendant from respected professionals to day laborers.

EDDS - Stuttgart

ultimately responsible (in my opinion) for degrading the professions of pilot and flight attendant from respected professionals to day laborers.

No disagreement there. And I hate to say it but so long as the leprechaun is associated with Ryanair I will not fly with them.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

It’s the attitude that puts me off. No matter if it’s the suppliers, business associates, employees or the passengers, the attitude appears to be the same, i.e. “piss off”. I never have and never will board an aircraft run by that management philosophy. Unfortunately that particular philosophy seems to be gaining momentum in many other areas of business and services as well.

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

I have to say that I’m ambivalent about Ryanair.

Personally, I agree with everything that has been said about their attitudes and I won’t fly with them, and haven’t for at least the last five years, unless there’s absolutely no alternative.

That said, AFAIK they are about the only airline able to make anything remotely approaching a reasonable profit.

If we, the paying punters, put more worth on price than anything else we can only really expect to get what we pay for although Ryanair do seem to have taken it to something of an extreme. On balance, I’m glad I don’t have to be their customer.

An oldie but goodie:

EGSC

Out of interest, how much does it cost in direct costs (fuel and hourly related maintenance) to fly a 737 from say Stansted to say Barcelona (say 1000nm)?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

About £20.

Plus a few extras……

EGSC

I realise you are prob99 saying that tongue in cheek, but it cannot possibly cost £20.

A back of a fag packet guess is about £10k. That puts the average ticket at about £70 (150 seats) to break even, without any contribution to the fixed costs of the aircraft or the supporting operation. And that seems true, given that the cheapest Ryanair tickets Justine and I have seen when looking at flying back from places like Pula (wx too bad to fly back in the TB20) were all around £250.

I suspect the number of £20 tickets they sell on any given flight could be counted on one’s fingers, plus they use the nowadays industry standard con of charging x to fly out and 5x to fly back

What is the fuel burn of a 737 for a 1000nm leg, and roughly what is the large volume trade price of avtur?

Last Edited by Peter at 08 Mar 17:51
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
35 Posts
Sign in to add your message