Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR Flying to Europe presentation 2012, and again 2024

it's quite simple: Switzerland is not part of the customs union so when traveling to / from Switzerland, you have to clear customs. Schengen in this context is mostly meaningful to 3rd country citizens that don't need an extra visa for Switzerland.

Does the same apply for Norway, given it also isn't part of the EU Customs Union?

Does the same apply for Norway, given it also isn't part of the EU Customs Union?

Norway is both a member of Schengen and member of the European Economic Area (EEA). The same applies to Iceland and Liechtenstein. EEA members are in a customs union with the EU but have their own tariffs for trade with non EU countries (i.e. do not follow the EU customs).

So if you come from a Schengen + EU country, you can directly fly to Norway.

This is just a bump for the old thread.

The presentation slides are online here, for anyone to download.

I don't plan to run it myself any more, largely because it's not possible to advertise it in the obvious place where the most benefit would be gained: flying schools. They boycott it totally.

I ought to fix the Switzerland and Greece "Schengen anomaly"

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

1) Very useful presentation. Nice to recap, and it also makes you want to travel more.

2)

When I fly from Norway I need to advice customs minimum who hours before entering the border. Also, I can only fly to an airport which has customs.

I normally land in Sweden to refuel (because I can get the taxes refunded, which brings the fuel price down to 1,4€ pr liter) and clear customs (nobody has ever shown up at the ramp).

After that I don't have worry about customs.

Peter, good job on the presentation, I like it. I put together a text on the same topic years ago, but in some strange language not understood by most of readers of this forum ;-). your presentation is much more complex, thanks for that.

LKKU, LKTB

Any interest in a “VFR in Europe” presentation, on Zoom?

I did this in 2012 at Shoreham. It was apparently very well received. But I am not sure how many VFR pilots we have here who don’t already know the basics of international flying in Europe.

The presentation had about 50 slides and took 2hrs so it would be done over two Zooms

I’ve had a CPL/IR since ~2006 but had the TB20 since 2002 and did a few hundred hours VFR, all the way to Crete.

We have a Zoom meet-up every Tuesday, currently 2000 UTC.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’d be interested. I think I’ve pretty much got flying in France under control but I have no idea how to go about international flights.

John

LFMD, France

I am interested, too.
Number of my international flights can be counted on one hand :(

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary

I’d be interested but hasn’t a lot changed since your last one ten years ago?

Forever learning
EGTB

Interested as well.

EDQH, Germany
Sign in to add your message