Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Denmark Norway Sweden and Spain - ban on N-reg long term parking

@huv I extracted the same interpretation as in your summary with some help from my wife (who for unknown reasons suffers from an acute form of aviation fatigue). I assume the cited Danish law applies in Greenland owing to the absence of an exclusion clause. The holiday period probably means up to 3 months. Thanks.

London, United Kingdom

Apparently Denmark has conceded on accepting ‘foreign’ EASA reg in Denmark, but still require a permit to be issued so they “have control over the based aircrafts”….and will obviously charge you a fee for issuing the permit.

EGTR

No official changes in Denmark, but to my knowledge no action has been taken recently against foreign EASA-reg aircraft in Denmark, even long-term ones without a permit. I have talked to one inside voice suggesting that they do not act on this anymore. For N-reg, however, there is at least one open case.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

Thanks for the update.

It would amaze me if Denmark did this to other EU countries e.g. started going after D-regs

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Reference for Denmark is here

Administrator

I am not sure that the situation in Denmark is quite as restrictive as the reference suggests.

The official stand on the subject is still AIC B 20/12 (2012), which is listed as a current document (in Danish language only) from the Danish CAA. It basically says that a foreign aircraft may be permanently based and operated in Denmark if it is on an EASA CoA and documentation for CoA and maintenance is submitted to the CAA. What the AIC does not mention, is that there is, or was, a significant fee to be paid to the CAA for that permission.

Unofficially, it seems that the CAA has stopped regulating this in recent years. I know about one unresolved case concerning an N-reg private aircraft, but have not heard about any action taken against owners of EASA-reg foreign aircraft recently, not since I myself in 2016 recieved a legal warning for operating an OM-reg (Chech) aircraft based i Denmark, for an extended time. There was no follow-up, and no fine.

Last Edited by huv at 20 May 07:33
huv
EKRK, Denmark

CZ is in the EU and they probably judged that isn’t enforceable. Same with the UK DfT quietly confirming that EU-reg planes were exempt from its various restrictions over the years (pre-brexit etc).

It is a difficult thing to enforce anyway, if you are hangared, and don’t run a pilot forum which discusses CAA infringements policy Much of Europe and especially France was historically full of PH-reg Annex 1, serviced via Dutch mailboxes. The problem is that you probably want to keep a fairly low profile, which is IMHO pretty incompatible with that one buys a plane for! It makes your [insert type] about as “useful” as a Pitts. Out of the hangar, a quick local, and straight back in the hangar. And how much did you pay for it??

Administrator

Swedish law states that aircraft which are permanently used in Sweden and not used for operations requiring a permit shall be registered in Sweden.

However, the same law begins with the words “Air operations in Sweden may only be carried out in accordance with this law or other ordnance unless otherwise prescribed by EU regulations.”

So the Swedish legislator has found a clever way to avoid conflicts with EU law… The question is what EU law says. I don’t have the stamina to read through all of the Basic Regulation.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I would put money on EU law saying nothing at all about this.

Brussels did this a while ago which, together with various FAA changes like this, is relatively effective in keeping a lid on N-regs.

Administrator

Airborne_Again wrote:

Swedish law states that aircraft which are permanently used in Sweden and not used for operations requiring a permit shall be registered in Sweden.

I suspect that there is another translation than “permanently used”… perhaps “permanently based”? Clearly, anyone getting good use out of a GA aircraft will not limit her/his flying to the home base country, and international trips would seem to qualify the aircraft as not “permanently used in Sweden”.

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message