Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Denmark Norway Sweden and Spain - ban on N-reg long term parking

The AIC mentioned above is still in force. There has been no talk about in on the (admittedly small) national forum since 2012. I just posted a question about it. I’ll get back here if I get any info. The fee seems to be around EUR 700 for the approval. I do not recall seeing a lot of N-regs around, other than on aprons and fuel stations.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

I am 99% sure it would be totally illegal for Denmark to block long term parking of other EASA regs – on discrimination grounds.

You cannot legally permanently operate a car with a German license plate in the UK or vice versa. Why would that restriction be legal and for airplanes not?

Also you cannot permanently operate a G-reg under a German AOC and vice versa. The fact that we can station and operate N-regs is a very liberal concession which I would not take for granted.

Last Edited by achimha at 18 Feb 08:12

Why would that restriction be legal and for airplanes not?

Well, aircraft are generally treated like boats rather than cars.

It’s entirely legal and acceptable to keep your UK registered yacht in French waters without restriction.

I believe this has to do with International treaties ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

You cannot legally permanently operate a car with a German license plate in the UK or vice versa. Why would that restriction be legal and for airplanes not?

That’s true, though I would say that with cars there are good reasons for banning long term parking of foreign regs:

• tax collection (the UK road tax, average ~ €200/year)
  • speed cameras become useless
  • no possibility of fines for other stuff (short of serious enough for extradition to be possible, though I am told a few countries in Europe do prosecute on behalf of each other, Germany being one of them)
  • difficulties with insurance claims (actually it is hard to insure a car for more than X months abroad)

Whereas under ICAO, each contracting state (each national CAA) is required to persecute a pilot based there, on behalf of another ICAO contracting state in whose airspace the alleged offence was committed. I happen to know a bit about this, from 2003 when I busted a French TRA… The DGAC conduct was pretty despicable. There is no such international treaty for cars.

Obviously there is a limit to the ICAO implementation e.g. if you do a CAS bust over the PR of Upper Volta, where the penalty for busting CAS by 1ft is beheading, the UK CAA is not going to act on their behalf to the full extent they might desire I.e. it is still subject to it being an offence under the local law, etc.

I now think that EASA will bring no change to local parking regs, and Denmark really can do what it likes.

But it does remain hard to enforce. Same with cars I guess… probably you simply get reported by your neighbour on whose lawn your cat did a poo. But if you had a foreign reg car parked in a garage, and the entrance to your house is not overseen, you can do what you like (including running a business with DHL vans going in and out all the time – did that myself for years ) Same with a plane – it must depend on how visible you are and who you p1ssed off.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I discussed this with the Sanish CAA some years ago, when I was considering an FAA IR and Walter to ensure that I could USD it in Denmark AS Well, in case we ever moved back. Their main argument against N-reg (and I guess other non-OY) was one of maintenance. They could not see how the FAA could ensure that the plane is airworthy, which is a complete bonkers argument to anyone knowing just a little bit about how these things work – not least because 95% of the Danish GA fleet is totally banged out early PA28s.

My suggestion that the FAA was looking after more GA in Europe than the Danish CAA did not really bite.

EGTR

I think that if you ask a CAA if you can park your N-reg there, it’s a bit like asking a policeman if it’s OK to drive 0.001mph over the speed limit

National CAAs are notorious for spreading disinformation, sometimes due to incompetence and sometimes because individuals inside are running personal agendas. I know a man who sold a G-reg TB aircraft because somebody in the UK CAA told him he could not fly it on an FAA PPL (which at the time was a total lie).

So I would like to ask what actually happens in Denmark. Are they OK once you pay the €700 one-off fee? Or is it €700/year? And what mechanism do they use to keep track of who is parked where and for how long? Does it matter if the pilot/owner does not have a Danish passport (e.g. a foreigner working there for a time)?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, “Whereas under ICAO, each contracting state (each national CAA) is required to persecute a pilot based there, on behalf of another ICAO contracting state in whose airspace the alleged offence was committed. I happen to know a bit about this, from 2003 when I busted a French TRA… The DGAC conduct was pretty despicable. There is no such international treaty for cars.”

Peter when I departed Wick for France on my TransAtlantic flight, I was warned to watch out for the French.

KHTO, LHTL

Whereas under ICAO, each contracting state (each national CAA) is required to persecute a pilot

I suspect that the bold text is a typo Peter – but probably very close to the truth

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Peter when I departed Wick for France on my TransAtlantic flight, I was warned to watch out for the French

Andrew would say that about the English as well…..

EGTK Oxford

Sorry about the typos in the previous message – bloody iPad :-)

My question to the Danish CAA was a little more honest than that, as I wanted to confirm my understanding regarding N-reg in the country. Having just done the exams on ICAO it didn’t quite compute for me. Not much learned though.

I have yet to see anything other than OY-reg in Denmark. Generally I think there is still some way to go for EASA to create a common regulation in Europe. Operating a D-reg in the UK, I can testify to the LBA not making life very easy.

EGTR
Sign in to add your message